Dr John Crane Street ?

Annette Curtain

If you had the good fortune to meet & know Dr John Crane, then please help by voting to have a street named after him.

You might have seen John on T.V during the England or Arsenal games, he was the Club Doctor at Arsenal for 30 years & Chief medical officer for England Football team. He also looked a bit like Terry Thomas, with lively blue eyes and blonde hair.

I knew him well as he was my father-in-law and I enjoyed many, many happy times in his company. I remember the first time I met him at his house. I was duly nervous though he soon put me at ease with his effortless charm "Drink-poos ol'boy ? " he asked, standing by a trolley who's legs bowed under the weight it carried. I nodded yes please "three fingers ok? " he asked, as he poured a large whisky for us both.

He was also very generous and threw a Christmas morning party, the likes i've never seen since. I reckon 50 plus would turn up and John & Penny would lay on home cooked food & drink for the various guests, patients & family friends. He certainly lived a full & busy life and I believe contributed greatly to the Walworth area.

John was also a GP on the Aylesbury Estate for many years. He set up practice right in the heart of the estate and carried on working there in his spare time away from football.

In 1998 he famously banned the national players from eating Baked Beans, replacing them with healthier food.

He loved all sport, particularly football. When he died the Arsenal team wore black armbands.

He lived opposite Burgess Park where his family still live today in a house which I can only describe as a shrine to football with walls full of memorabilia, signed shirts, tickets and photos. I used to spend literally hours just looking through the stuff, the downstairs w/c was a mini museum of its own dedicated to the Gunners, gold & red taps included.

(How many people can say they've sat with their trousers round their ankles, wearing "Pelle's" Brazil shirt & reading the Arsenal club history book, in a football "tardis" of a shrine to the game.*puts hand up*)

There is an auction of some of his memorabilia on the 7th of November

Click below if you would like to see John Crane Street in Walworth.

It takes a short while ( scroll down it's near the bottom of the page ) then click on the thumbs up

John Crane Street

He was a fantastic character and would be tickled pink to think a Walworth street might be named after him.

Cheers to "the doc"

NETTE(tu)(tu)(tu)

* three fingers:-$ *

I think it was the balance between starch and sugars that Hoddle wasn't happy with - not that beans are unhealthy. He wanted slow release carbs rather than a sugar rush.

Two years later, in a mad tempestuous possibly psychotic moment Keegan overthrew the ban except for match days.

Thank heavens for that...

The flatulence caused by the beans could under the extreme duress of high level football have had explosive consequences - hence his cautious approach - you must remember at that time England were not a sh*t team and that any unfortunate follow through could have compromised this.