Fifa hates our way of life...

bon3yard

...and our tradition, since time began of embroidering a stylised Poppy on the kit of our international footballers. I could almost feel the orgasmic ripple that swept through the newsrooms of the usual suspects at this latest percieved slur on our way of life by malignant foreign types. When did wearing a poppy become absolutely compulsory?

The english football writers are really going to town on this

You don't have to like ANYTHING FIFA/UEFA does to see the problems if poppies were allowed

(I'm also getting bothered by the notion that honouring the dead is somehow uniquely "British" and other countries wouldn't understand)

It was fair enough to ask, but as it's not happening, PLEASE move on people

bon3yard Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Yes.

So back to the poppy then.

On the left or the right, or how about one on each side with a lone poppy pushing higher up, waiting for the opportunity to be noticed.

You could then have a row of four at the bottom.

We could always argue "It's always been so in the Garden of England"

Wadda-ya-think ?

Nette:-S

And there is more than enough to bash FIFA with, so I'm fine with that

But I do think it's more than that - look at Huguenot's postings on the Poppy thread in the DR. He wouldn't know who/what FIFA was if you asked him to take a penalty with Diana Ross in goal, but he knows how to get in a froth about poppies

I agree with FIFA regarding this issue (it's against the rules that are clearly communicated to all). re FIFA are corrupt, what's new?

I'm not in a froth about poppies. I don't think poppies should be compulsory, although I am scornful of people who don't wear them 'to make a point'.

I do however believe that schools should have the freedom to declare their position on certain issues, and not have presumptuous teenage twots thinking that they can do what they like regsrdless - aided and abetted by foolish adults making grandiose claims about brainwashed drones. More so when it's a sensitive issue about respect and empathy for the sacrifice of others.

So poppies not compulsory, unless you happen to go to a school that decides that they should be. Because otherwise you would be a 'presumptuous teenage twot'.

H, I have to admire your 'freeform' approach to debate and argument. It must be so liberating never to be bound by anything you've ever said before, or any consideration of internal logoc and/or rationality.

I'm always bound by what I say before DaveR, and if I change my mind I try and let people know.

There is nothing inconsistent about my argument - children are not adults, school is not a recreation ground and respect and empathy for others are important lessons to learn.

If you are unable to make these distinctions then you might be struggling with the argument, but it's pretty clear really.

Regarding the FIFA ruling, they probably could have overlooked it - but whether it was a political statement or charitable advertising (I guess it had to be one or the other in a legal sense) it still broke the agreement. They could probably have got away with black armbands.

Atticus Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> The papers etc. are still incredibly bitter that

> our world cup bid was overwhelmingly rejected.

> Let's Fifa bash.

The papers, generally, reflect a greater public opinion. As a Scot, I couldn't give a monkeys about England's badly managed World Cup bid. I just detest the old boys club corruption on a scale that makes your average African dictator look honest.