Frozen bloody Planet

Atticus

Yes, the BBC have recently been told to reign in some of their more overblown orchestral scores. Thank goodness. It seems even a cow chewing in a field warranted a window shuddering soundtrack more appropriate to the dawn of the universe.

Climax fatigue.

Yeah rubbish.

I'd blame the likes of Beethoven, Bruckner and Mahler with all that namby-pamby-reflecting-the-glories-of-nature-with-inspiring-music nonsense.

I reckon a nice bit of bluegrass banjo would suit those vast, frozen, windswept vistas and slow motion shots of the brutal life and death struggles taking place much more faithfully.

Pressing mute wouldn't allow me to listen to the 'real' effects now, would it?

There is nothing wrong with incidental music, keep it incidental. A polar bear scratching its arse doesn't warrant a chorus of dramatic drums. This is nature and it is fascinating enough, stop trying to sell it to us as if it's a movie, Jurassic Park for example.

as for the script, 'this particular beast has his mind on other things, romance is in the air and he's not afraid who knows it...' I made this bit up but hopefully you get the gist. These are animals, not humans. Johnny Morris wasn't saying what the animals really thought you know, he was making it up. Kids stuff really.

Now, I think that they should only be allowed orchestral music, if the orchestra is actually there.

How cool would that me? Watching Killer Whales hunting the seal, with a full orchestra squatting on the nearest ice-flow. Thus:

"..... and so, at the end of the hunt, the Matriach Orka slips in behind her exhausted victim, gently grips his tails between her teeth ...... and pulls the second Basoonist to his doom deep beneath the icy depths"

The music never bothered me.

I find this series, however, to be dull! I generally love wildlife programmes but I think there's such a huge overlap with Blue Planet, Planet Earth etc that I feel like I've seen it all before (and I probably have).

There are the odd bits which are new and are, therefore, fascinating (IMO) e.g. the sea ice freezing and the briney water sinking to the sea bed, freezing everything in its path.