Sports Personality of the Year

Atticus

Really, what is the point? The world of sport has moved on since the BBC dominated the globe. Do you think Usain Bolt is arsed about this accolade?

As for no women this yera?, pathetic. If that's what your selection process serves up, then, it is wrong.

Women aren't represented well in the sporting media, that's not an excuse for them not be recognised. 'Personality' should to be replaced by 'Sportsperson'of the year, perhaps.

I think these awards should be taken out of the BBC hands and given to a body with more prestige... The Beeb could still produce and broadcast the event but should focus on an editorial which delivers a cracking 'review' of the year. As it stands, it is becoming a laughing stock, the X Factor of sport.

SimonM Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> If "personality" was remotely a factor then Sarah Stevenson ought to have won by a street, never mind shortlisted

I'm afraid she comes under the heading of 'never heard of her'. I think the person should be at least reasonably well know, else 'Mad Dave' from the local pub darts team would be in the running.

Except "Mad Dave " is not a world champion in any sport who nursed both parents with terminal cancer whilst training for the championships. You or "Nuts" may not have heard of her, but real sporting journalists/media ought to be in the know.

• 3 weeks later...

Mick Mac Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Rory...

>

> No cyclist can come close.

Told you so.

What a poor result.....we this year have UK golfers achieving feats that have never before been achieved and probably wont again, yet we give it to a cyclist who is ranked only 6th in the sports biggest event.

And within golf to put Darren Clarke above Rory McIlroy is just not right either.

Cricket didn't even make the top three?!? Just goes to show its not really a national sport, it's just for dusty old sports writers, colonials, peckhamgatecrasher and me (and ratty apparently and david_carnell and one or two others).

Still, that cyclist seemed nice.