Consider plain food.

Tarot

Did anyone else see Phillip Scofield this morning delivering meals to the old folk.

There was one old lady, and he said you have casserole today and she replied"does it have chillie in it" he said No

and she burst into tears with relief.

I think there is too much chillie in all products now,even the so called chefs cannot cook anything without adding it to all their dishes, Jamie Oliver is the worse culprit, but I guess he has his own motive for promoting chillies.

Ther are people that actually want to eat plain food.

Lots of pensioners hate chillies, and seeing there is a massive number of pensioners those in catering should take note

or lose out on sales.

In particular Hospital food does not cater for refined pallettes, too much spice covers up bad food.

I was in hospital for two weeks earlier this year.

Not one chilli did I see.

Tarot, you're utterly bonkers.

But thank god it's Christmas, I'm asking you if you would like stepping into Christmas with me, and, you know, God bless us, everyone.

Has anyone got those Christmas tree lights that are a string of chillies?

Buy any mass produced ready meal and your will find plain old blandness in abundance - to suit the masses!!!

Me? I LOVE chillies LOVE curries LOVE garlic LOVE capers LOVE stinky danish blue LOVE anchovies LOVE extra strong onions AND my breath smells of lavender! Bring it on!

I'll 'consider' plain food, and then give it a miss thank you v mucho.

RosieH Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> My nan thought HP sauce was dirty foreign muck.

>

> She was quite racist though.

I always thought HP sauce was horrible - sharp vinegary vile stuff. Can't imagine why she thought it was foreign. Why anyone would ruin good bacon with HP I really don't understand.

Whereas, I cannot think of much that I wouldn't put sweet chilli sauce on.

What is Jamie Oliver's sinister motive for promoting chillies? I had a look at the recipes on his website, there is plenty of traditional stuff without chilli.

Southwark use Apetito for their home delivery service. A sample menu is here : menu. As you can see, there are only a handful of spiced meals available. Although admittedly, I did not witness the distressing sight of the old dear crying on Phillip Schofield's shoulder this morning.

As for you personally, Tarot... there is plenty of choice out there, just eat whatever you like - nobody is forcing you to eat anything!!

the-e-dealer Wrote:

> That Mustard looks interesting whats it taste

> like? I assume it has vinegar in it!

It tastes like proper English Mustard (even though the company is in Glasgow) and is delicious (available at Pretty's in NthX Rd: ?2.15/200g jar).

No vinegar.. "Water, Mustard Flour, Salt, Wheat Flour, Citric Acid, Turmeric."

Homemade English mustard may be prepared with Colman's Mustard Powder, water, lemon juice or vinegar, wheat flour, turmeric powder (i.e. an organic yellow colouring) and salt.

I used to make my own but at 39p per 185 gram jar (Morrison's generic 'Value' brand), it just isn't worth the bother these days - especially now that I consume hardly any meat.

Tarot Wrote:

> I think there is too much chillie in all products now ...

You may be right in the sense that chilli is probably more common than most people realise.

Many supermarket ready cooked or pre-prepared meals include chilli (i.e. cayenne pepper), often indirectly as part of a seasoning (e.g. Worcestershire sauce - so not listed as an ingredient), or the milder bell peppers, which are used as cheap, colourful bulking agents.

It probably makes commercial sense: the capsaicinoids, the active ingredients and sources of peppery heat, are addictive.

intexasatthe moment Wrote:

> Jeremy - that appetito menu must be for frozen

> meals for clients to heat up themseves .

> It's a great deal more varied than that delivered

> ready to eat .

Ah OK, it all makes sense now. So presumably the usual meals-on-wheels selection is a choice of chicken vindaloo, tom yum goong, or sichuan hot-pot. Once a month they do casserole (delivered by a daytime TV celeb) and the pensioners cry with joy.

My husband would cry if he DIDN'T get chillies on his meals. He is obsessed with the things, everything I cook he sprinkles raw scotch bonnets on it, every sandwich is laced with it, they almost make my ears bleed when I sneak a bite. His taste buds must be shot !