Ham. Help.

*Bob*

Is anyone in the know - about ham?

Where does one go for a whole Spanish ham (a meat ham, not the vegetarian ham) these days? Somewhere that doesn't involve importing direct from Spain, paying honking delivery charges or getting fleeced at 'gourmet market' prices?

I'm just after a shoulder, not the full back leg affair.

Please help. I ham getting desperate.

If you either google Spanish Ham, or otheraise pop into one of the local deli's in East or West Dulwich. Alternatively if you would consider italian ham, I know a small continenatal store on Caledonian road that could help you out.

Also you could contact W.Bunting, (0207 639 3718) butcher on Peckham Park Road who maybe able to order one for you?

Buy British ham. Serve it every day for a fortnight with softened celery, proper (green) lettuce and sum Branston. It's what the old folks want. I saw one take her teeth out an polish them on Phil Schofield's arsecheeks, she was so happy it was proper ham the other day.

Aaah, far from it.

The producer and type is the most important thing.

Shoulder is a bit fattier, but the combination of texture and flavour when you combine the soft succulent and sweet fat the dark, nutty meat is a true delight and just as important as the meat to a ham lover (my wife alway strips it off and I'm forced to eat it all, I dread to think of the state of my arteries).

It is ually a bit cheaper so better value for money. There's no such thing as good value for money in the jam?n world, it'll always dent your wallet.

Shoulder is a bit fattier, but the combination of texture and flavour when you combine the soft succulent and sweet fat the dark, nutty meat is a true delight and just as important as the meat to a ham lover

...you been overindulging in Masterchef El P?

It's pretty simple to cure your own Ham.

I've got two on the go & a couple of belly pieces for bacon.

Admittedly these particular baby's won't be ready for Christmas, but the one in the shed ( in the brine wet-cure) will be in the next few days.

This dry method is dead easy. Two parts sea salt-one part dark sugar, then sling in a load of dry aromatics. Bay, chili's, cardamon, star anise, cinnamon bark. Rub the raw hams all over and leave in a cool dark place in a lidded box, like the one below.

Then give them a fresh rub over with the cure each day and turn them. You can also cover them with a board and weight this down (they have a plastic mesh to sit on as they cure) It further pressurises the meat into giving up its juices.

Eventually after six weeks and just in time for my birthday party, these two will be ready. The bacon only takes about two weeks.

So, if you see a good piece of pork going for a song. Grab it and get curing. Cost wise, I bought the whole pig ?40+25 slaughtering cost and butchered it at home in the garden on a stainless steel butchers table. Each ham I recon costs me about ?15-20-ish.

Personally, I deal direct with the farmer and see the pigs throughout their lifecycle. If you're not up to that and it takes a while to distance yourself mentally ( if ever) then buying from a butcher or going to Smithfield at 4:30am is possibly the way forward.

You could also try this with a friend, buying half a pig together and going from there.

http://desmond.imageshack.us/Himg13/scaled.php?server=13&filename=photocax.jpg&res=medium

Either way, it's most joyful and satisfying.

"Ham-tastic" almost.

( come on it is christmas, so bad jokes are compulsory )

NETTE:)(tu):)-D

Edited to add a thumbs up & a festive "cheers".