Norovirus

the-e-dealer

My stepson has got the Norovirus. He woke at 5am vomiting and with the runs. I am due to to visit him tonight but wonder if it would be wise to leave it a day . Or will he be just as infectious tomorrow. And since he might be cheered up by my visit maybe I should visit but take precautions. are there any effective precautions?

I was in Kings a year or so back. The Ward opposite me had an outbtreak of Norovirus and was closed down

to be Cleansed...

Patients were then moved to another Ward. I seem to remember visiting was restricted and visitors had to wear

masks and gowns.

I would recommend you call the hospital ( I'm assuming he is in Hospital ??) for advice.

Fox.

the-e-dealer Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> My stepson has got the Norovirus. He woke at 5am

> vomiting and with the runs. I am due to to visit

> him tonight but wonder if it would be wise to

> leave it a day . Or will he be just as infectious

> tomorrow. And since he might be cheered up by my

> visit maybe I should visit but take precautions.

> are there any effective precautions?

Stay away. Do not go. Seriously. I caught the Norovirus two winters ago, my Other Half nursed me at arms length and we did everything to stop her catching it too - but to no avail. It is a tenacious bastard, highly contagious and very, very, very unpleasant.

I've had a few illnesses over the years but very little compares to the sheer hell of the first couple of days of this swine of a virus - and you remain able to infect others for longer than you might think (like when you start to feel better) up to a week after the first symptoms.

When I caught it I was warned by Doctors not to leave the house or go near ANYONE, that there was nothing that could be done to help or cure it but that you had to suffer and ride it out.

I still remember it with a shudder - I am sorry for your stepson but if you go you WILL catch it (unlike a lot of viruses it aerosolises with vomiting etc. and is far more contagious than a cold or flu) and you will infect everyone you meet afterwards and have a Hellish time.

Oh, btw, did I say? DON'T GO!!!

ETA: I caught the virus whilst my OH was away and was two days into it when she returned - we assumed I wouldn't be as contagious by then and if we took precautions it would be fine. It wasn't.

Norovirus isn't just one infection - it's actually a group of viruses that cause stomach cramps, fever, vomiting and diarrhoea.

If you've got these symptoms in the UK then the odds are it's norovirus as it's the most pervasive infection that causes these symptoms.

You could only prove it by taking a stool sample to the lab, but it would be a bit pointless as you'd have recovered before the assessment could be made, and it wouldn't affect treatment anyway - which is mainly drinking plenty of fluids!