iPads. Are They Good. And do they ---

PeckhamRose

No idea on the GPS bit since haven't used mine for that.

I have an iPad 2 but got the one with 3G (a 3 sim that costs ?15 for 3 months or 3GB of data). My iPhone tariff doesn't allow data tethering and I did think about buying a mifi dongle and just getting the wifi iPad. If you are primarily going to use it at home or in cafes that have free wifi, then wifi is fine. But I find myself using it in a car, at the hairdresser or out and about where there's no free wifi and then having the 3G option has been v handy. If your smartphone has tethering though, you may be able to use that instead.

I've found mine most useful on trips where I am going to be on my own and for finishing reading or watching something in bed at night. Tis a luxury and I couldn't say I need it but do enjoy it

I got an IPad2 for my birthday, before getting one thought they were good but an unnecessary luxury. Wouldn't be without it now!! It's great for reading books, surfing the net, playing games etc.

Only down side is Apple not allowing adobe to be downloaded.

I've not used the GPS on the ipad but have on my iPhone, works well on there so presume good on pad too.

Thanks. I do not get this 'tethering' and naively thought there would be rules against that anticompetitiveness!

I do not have a smartphone, and sort of feel that if I have an iPad I would not need one.

I use my phone as a phone and little else. It does connect to the internet but it will not allow me to connect to BTYahoo for my emails. "This service does not support BTYahoo" is what I get when I try and get my mail.

Indeed I will start another thread asking for people's opinions on my alternatives to vodafone.

But anyway, BTYahoo have a free app so I could connect to their Fon service which I often do with my laptop when I travel around.

PeckhamRose Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> So you like iPod but not iPad? Unless the last

> word "the" was superfluous!

No, I don't like iPod, I just have to respect the marketing people at Apple for fooling people that they're worth having.

Generally I agree that Apple products are overpriced (a Macbook costs about twice as much as an equivalent spec PC). But their stuff is undeniably high quality - very well designed, good quality construction/components, etc. The only tablet I've seen which can compete with the iPad is the Samsung Galaxy - and that's every bit as expensive as the iPad! And at the moment iOS has a better software base than Android.

Ahh.. the eternal Mac/PC mouth-off. I can't resist!

Apple has given the people what they think they need (and clearly want) - and turned itself into the technology business story of the era. What's not to admire?

The only non-work Apple thing I ever bought was an iPod - the very first one. I handed it to anyone who was interested, with no instruction - didn't even tell them what it was. In two minutes everyone knew exactly how it worked, loved it and wanted one. That's not marketing bullshit - that's great design.

Well as a result of the discussion I think I may wait till iPad3 comes out, then 1) either read everyone saying how it's crap and not as good, and so I will buy a cheaper iPad2, or 2) People may say it is much better and I will buy the new iPad3.

Or by THAT time the money I currently have will have gone on something else!

What I don't like about the tablets I have used is that when you touch to expand the screen, to make the text bigger, the text does not condense to the width of the screen. So you have to scroll across to see the type that has moved off screen.

[ Unless there is a way to adjust for this? ]

My HTC phone automatically adjusts to the screen size. Do tablets not do this?