The Bun House - Gone but never forgotten

Louisa

Perhaps not relevant to most of you, and probably not overly significant to most people in ED, but for those of you who have grown up locally, the demise of yet another staunchly local, traditional, and predominantly working class public house made me reflect a little this evening.

The Bun House on Peckham High Street has been a prominent and historical local building since it's founding as a public house in 1898. The pubs name reflects it's former incarnation throughout most of the 19th century as a local bakery. My father was a regular attendee, as was my grandfather going back over many years. I know many people on ED who would rate The Bun House as a local institution ranking alongside the likes of the EDT, the White horse, the gowlett and of course the now defunct oglander arms.

Like many traditional south London institutions, kennedys sausages included, yet another sad death nail has been hammered into the heart of the traditional working class community. It sometimes feels as though home isn't home anymore, as much as I love so much about the positives of gentrification, I wish it could sit alongside other cultures and traditions rather than unknowingly contribute to their demise. Of course other factors are at play too, demand and supply, tough economic times, changing social habits et al.

Anyhow, the closure isn't just the death of a pub, or a rather successful art gallery (which resides out the back), but for some, a way of life.

R.I.P Bun House, you will be sorely missed :)-D

Do you know what will happen to the building now Louise ?

And by the way ages ago there was a thread on the EDF which had a link to a lengthy document ,available on line and in hard copy ,with loads of history about the buildings in Rye Lane .

I think it was by English Heritage or something like that ?

You wouldn't happen to remember it or be able to post the link ?

Yes I googled and read that report Intexas and Peckham High Street and Rye Lane have the most surviving original buildings behind the shops than any other high street In Britain.

It was a fascinating document, detailing the chronological erection of the buildings often in pairs or quartets by different builders.

For instance, down the Co-operative Flats end and on the otherside of the road is a quartet of buildings with oriental influence, at a time when the public were engrossed with exotic images of 'empire'. I never noticed it till I read the report. Now I can't go up Rye Lane without seeking out all the amazing buildings tucked behind the prefab shopfronts.

Hi all, I found this dicussion via twitter, I live down by the Bun House and it's sad what's happened there. There is a thread with some info about it over at South East Central forum.

http://bit.ly/wDfxb4

There is currently a plan in place (posted at SECentral) to rip out its current facade. The council are still taking objections until the 2nd Feb, so if you do have an interest in maintaining its usage as a pub or preserving the facade or other aspects of this Victorian relic then please check out the details. the Peckham Society have also written in with their objections - that letter is here: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/9732167/The Bun House - Final.pdf

I understand they have recently made new plans to tear out the back as well, so where the flats are is an old chimney and lovely old London brick, but they want to strip that out and convert it so that up to 10 flats can be built out the back of it, which will totally destroy its character. I only heard that from the pub landlord last night, as apparently the developers came in this week to discuss their new plans. Rumour has it that they are thinking of putting a Starbucks there, ye gods! I shall be out there with my pitchfork if that happens! Anyway - I'm not sure how real all of this is just yet, but would appreciate any support / letters of objection etc that you can rustle up.

thanks so much!

I didn't know about the previous history of some of the buildings behind the shop fascias along Rye Lane so this is extremely interesting to me. It is my understanding that this building isn't protected so the developers can change the fascia of the building without too much objection. Starbucks have shown interest in taking up the lease on the retail space currently occupied by The Bun House following the development of the building.

Louisa.

Louisa and all others who really care about this stuff, please do consider joining The Peckham Society. They successfully managed to get two of the buildings on that road listed, including the one behind the shop called Crackerjack. The Peckham Society News Magazine came second in the best local magazine last year and its editor, John Beasley, writes all the local history books on Peckham East Dulwich and others. There are often very interesting talks on various aspects of local history.

Hope you decide to join - I love it!

thenjericho Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> "It is not the strongest of the species that

> survives, nor the most intelligent that survives.

> It is the one that is the most adaptable to

> change." - Charles Darwin

?Nobody can go back and start a new beginning, but anyone can start today and make a new ending.? -Maria Robinson

Louisa.