Irish radio station

AGW3

I'm sick of radio stations being UK-centric and towing the Government line. I've found a new (to me) Irish station, which is on longwave. It's a bit more refreshing than listening to the same old repeats on Radio 4 and the BBC World service. As for LBC I don't count them as a news station.

Does anyone out there listen to any other good news radio stations. They don't have to be UK-based.

Do they need to be on radio - or will internet radio stations do?

UDT, New Nexus, Lady Deliah and HAL9000 will know a few that tell you the real truth about what goes on in the world ;-)

Monica might know one that cures listeners of an instability in their auras.

Poor old auntie beeb, one minute they're a bunch of leftie subversives trying to bring this country crashing down, the next they're toeing the government line.

Can't win can they.

I listen to three things on the radio, the Today programme in the mornings, Six music when I'm cooking and the test match special whenever I can.

I would rather be listening to a London centric station to be honest. I tend to hop between LBC (love a bit of Ken and David Mellor, Nick Abbott, O'Brien's mystery hour and the travel programme), BBC London and R4. Hardly ever listen to music stations any more.

I hate being tied to local ststions when out of London though. Grim.

Huguenot, I would prefer a radio station be it digital or old fashioned wave band.

When I said towing the government line, I was referring to the BBC's coverage of the government's foreign policy. I guess the Beeb realises which hand is feeding it. You know what they say, "never bite the hand that feeds you".;-)

Ah well, having lived overseas for the last 7 years, I know that in the majority of the rest of the world, the BBC is valued because of the independence of its world coverage.

So perhaps your view on whether it's covering 'government foreign policy' or not depends simply upon whether its reporting to you what you want to hear?

UDT, the BBC has both editorial independence and a duty enshrined in law to provide as balanced an approach as possible*.

Public service http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/math/f/c/9/fc96ad814da494dec61f5128a498e508.png government shill.

Sometimes people don't know when they have it good, you should look at Spain's national broadcast bodies, they really do have to toe the government line.

Why do people insist on seeing deception everywhere, sometimes a duck is a flippin' duck.

*in the world of opinion there is no such thing as neutrality, especially when people always see anything they don't agree with as unnacceptable bias.

But see Loz's comment earlier about how the balance of complaints actually show how good a job the beeb does at annoying everyone.

The israeli/palestinian conflict is another case in point, it's amazing how the Beeb manages to be both a zionist and hamas propogandist!

*edited for clarity and legibility*

I don't have an aversion to public sector UDT. You may be confused my aversion to people who claim early retirement and inflated pensions paid for by people who have neither, with some problem with public sector workers. It's not.

Neither do I have a grudge against LU workers - I simply have a disagreement with people who hold the city to ransom for being asked to do their job.

I used to be employed by the BBC.

Incidentally, you may be confusing public service with public sector. The public sector are those products and services provided by government.

The BBC is not public sector. It is not provided by nor controlled by government. The BBC charter usually exceeds electoral terms and remains unchanged regardless of the political intent of the government.

The BBC has a public service responsibility linked to the fact that it derives revenue through the License fee. It is also subject to a government regulator to ensure it delivers on these commitments. The regulator cannot dictate editorial policy or reportage.

The only service with a BBC 'name' that is provided by government is the BBC World Service. As such it is significantly affected by foregin policy - in the sense that its funding in particular areas was affected by government diktat - effectively ensuring they called the shots.

The government funding for World Service has been removed from 2014.

Why would I admit something that wasn't true, you empty headed prat?

Are you so senselessly and depressingly thick that you think making these vacuous claims is somehow impressive?

You had to search so hard and so far to find that scrag end in the most obscure corner of the BBC website that it makes much more sense that the reference was just an error doesn't it?

But you're hardly likely to admit that, instead you're going to make some more daft pronouncements that through the haze of your barely functioning intellect you think are clever.