Double glazing (Rehau) effect on ED property price

Israphale

Hi, I just moved into a Victorian property in East Dulwich with original Victorian sash windows. I am considering installing double-glazing but it seems that I cannot afford the type of double-glazing that looks exactly like a sash window (it is around ?10,000 for the whole property). We got another quote of around half the price from a company using slightly more chunky windows (UPVC Vertical Sliders - Rehau brand). But I am worried that this will still knock down the value of the property because it is still obviously has a "double-glazed" plasticky look although it is less chunky than some other makes. Any advice is gratefully received!

Hi Israphale,

This is a really tricky problem.

Victorian Sash windows can be drafty and the few recent burglaries in East Dulwich have often involved forcing them. Single panes also leak heat like crazy.

?10,000 is also a lot of money.

Could you break your order up to be done over time?

Or have chunkier ones at the back.

Of course asking estate agent advice might be another way to gauge the value implications beyond your own view of the aesthetics.

We got rid of our aluminium 70's windows in our Victorian Property and replaced them with UVPC Rehau Heritage Sash (http://www.rehauhome.com/windows-doors/default.aspx?pr=3)

For us, having new wood sash windows installed would have been too expensive. Although I may be biased, I think it's quite difficult to tell that they are not original (unless you look quite closely), although the double glazed panes give it away if you know what you are looking for.

Overall they are very sympathetic and have been approved for use in many conservation areas.

From speaking to estate agents I think they are essentially neutral on the property value when compared with wooden sash windows.

trizza Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

>

> From speaking to estate agents I think they are

> essentially neutral on the property value when

> compared with wooden sash windows.

"And it has original single-glazed wooden sash windows which is a plus..."

"And it has energy-saving PVC double glazing which is a plus..."

James Barbers suggestion of having the chunkier ones at the back is a good one. When you come to sell, first impressions count. By the time you've got to the back of the house it's either sold or not. Spend the money at the front.

I would have expected the value of a house with sash windows to be at least ?10K more than one with inappropriate double glazing.

Hi,

We do PVC box sash and Hardwood box sash - both double glazed (as they have to meet certain energy ratings to meet building regulations)

The way we replace them is very sympathetic. Especially the inside where there is alot of space to made up by removing the boxes. We use fully finished timber architraves and nosing.

The look of the new windows will also depend on how they are surveyed with even the best windows looking out of place if they are too small (the amount of frame showing externally)

In my opinion about replace or not and will it add value. If you windows are not original now you will do no harm to the value of your home. If you live in a street with no replacement windows and everyone has timber sash you may devalue it against those with original features. But otherwise a good installation in PVC sliding sash or timber will only make things better.

We have just done an install of 10 PVC sash windows (no bays) and 1 dormer window in PVC and it came to ?9500 - for an idea on price.

David

www.blueskywindows.co.uk

?10000 actually doesn't sound too bad to me for a whole house, we have recently been quoted ?8000 just for our front 3 windows (we have the additional problem of having the original shutters downstairs which we want to keep), from 2 different places. We can't afford this at all so we're thinking of just getting new single glazed, which frankly can't be worse that the ones we have which are in a terrible state!

I have installed new windows in 3 different houses in last year with original shutters. The survey took a bit of time to find a way to keep them but we did it and they look great.

Normal size in hardwood would be about 5-6000 for a bay window. 3000 ish for pvc.

David

• 3 weeks later...
For the prices people are quoting here for timber double glazed sash windows try Dulwich sash windows. We only had 1 window replaced by them but the quality was outstanding. For the price of a primed only window from other companies they fitted a pre-finshed box sash with fine detailing. Our window also came with a 5 year Guarantee and insurances, can't be beaten in my opinion.