Cyclists gripes

rifleman harris

I notice we have a few cyclists on the forum. My journey takes less than 10 minutes as I work in Dulwich but in such a short journey I have come across so many idiotic and plain dangerous behaviour from drivers that im surprised i haven't been hospitalised. the closest being back in April where a white van driver pulled out from the kerb without looking and causing me to crash and sustain a broken shoulder from which i am still recovering from. So come on cyclists; what horror stories have you got and what behaviour on the road really rankles you?

Sorry Harris, I am a fellow cyclist and my journey is about five miles from ED to Beckenham but I am generally amazed at how considerate most drivers are. I've been cycling in London for about 8 years and never had an accident. In that time I've come accross a few moronic drivers but in truth not that many. However I am perfectly happy to recognise that just because I've not come into contact with them doesn't mean they ain't there. (just about to ride home in a minute - so as sod's law will have it, probably end up in hospital tonight)

I did end up in hospital today Citizen! Unfortunately, it was a self-inflicted cycle accident.

I have been riding in London for twenty years or so, but I think I am used to the driving. The key is to assert yourself on the roads well by your position or drivers will take advantage.

I reckon the most annoying thing is other riders without respect for the rules or others. One day I am gonna blow .....

I hit a car yesterday on my bike. I was swerving through the traffic as usual, got past one car and went to cut through to the left hand side and the car in front just stopped (the lights turned to red!!) so I didn't judge the space quite right. My right shoulder slammed into the back of the car but car and bike didn't actually make contact, so I just looked like a bit of a tw@t and had to oppologise profusely to the woman in the car that I'd hit. Oh and my shoulder is KILLING me!! Might stop swerving through traffic as my relexes appear to be slowing down with age!!

My top three irritations as a cyclist are:

Drivers that pull any reckless move to overtake, then scream to a halt right in front of you because of some obstacle they didn't see.

Driving into the cyclists' box at the lights (obviously ? motorbikes too ?? look at the picture on the road, is there an engine? No.)

Using the phone without a hands free kit. Not that keen on hands free kits either!

I've been cycling in London a few years and I envy the posters who say they have no problems ?? there are some right lunatics out there. But I do acknowledge cyclists are often no angels. Top three cyclists' bad habits: running red lights; not indcating; not riding with lights at night. All pretty inexcusable.

I think both sides have lots of faults on the roads.

I got knocked off my bike and it has really knocked my confidence and jump right out my skin when I see a car coming at me from the left now. Therefore I dont feel I am particularly safe on the road- too jumpy. Ive nearly had accidents when pedestrians step off the kerb without looking because they cant hear a car coming so assume it is empty.

But on the other side I hate it when cyclists race through pedestrian crossing when people are crossing, they could change speed or direction and they are not looking for a vehicle 2 or 4 wheeled because they are hey..... at a pedestrian crossing. one day a guy came speeding down a hill through people going in both directions and gave one a fright, I caught up with him and gave him an earful but he was totally unrepentant. I've a mate who got knocked over by a cyclist doing this.

I've also seen a guy weaving his way through traffic and pulled out quickly to one side and didnt notice the van coming up the inside lane and when the guy nearly hit him he acted like it was the drivers fault but he was the one who pulled out suddenly without looking.

Everyone thinks everyone should make way for them.

• 3 weeks later...

I've been cycling in London for nearly 20 years now and had 2 broken hands (1 riding into a car door that opened without looking, and 1 being whacked with a big stick by a group of youths as I rode past). Also had a broken foot when a lorry pulled up to park without noticing I was on the inside (considered myself lucky there). Many other near misses too.

I'm a much more considered cyclist now than I used to be when younger, and consider arriving safely more important than arriving quickly.

It's important not to vilify cyclists, car drivers or motorcyclists, but to consider all as road users. Bad road users should be criticised be they drivers or cyclists.

I hate cyclists jumping red lights. Another personal bug bear of mine is cyclists pulling up at the lights and parking them selves in front of my bike when I was there first; just plain rude.

Motorists often annoy me too; however the big difference being that their behaviour could literally be a matter of life or death. Too many motorists consider it a right to drive on public roads. Considering how dangerous careless drivers are, it should be viewed as a privilege that you lose if you can't drive safely.

I agree with mattham, and the first one always seems to happen cycling up Adys Road! And I'd add wearing headphones to the 3rd point too - I can't think of a more inconsiderate and stupid thing to do, besides riding blindfolded and naked down the canal path whilst blowing a dog whistle.

I think the one thing that rankles me is pedestrians who walk out in front of me whilst on the phone. And they're usually totally oblivious to the fact that they've almost *killed* me.

ratty makes a fair point - statistically, aren't most cyclist deaths caused by collisions between cyclists turning right and lorries turning left at junctions? I see a lot of cyclists trying their utmost to get past that lorry at a junction. I remember a book about traffic guidelines for driving in Thailand. Rule 1 - The larger vehicle has priority. Rule 2 - see Rule 1.

Cookie makes really good points IMHO. There's a percentage of bad/inconsiderate drivers for any vehicle group. I started (but haven't finished) my advanced motorbike test a couple of years ago, and they really hammer you with all the safety aspects of driving. One school of thought is that any accident you have is your own fault, because you weren't prepared (because of your new-found advanced road craft and awareness skills) for the situation that arose to cause it. Maybe a bit extreme, but it certainly makes me more cautious. Well, that and a few trips to A&E.

Luckily, I took the train today so I can have a beer after work, otherwise fate would be gunning for me :-)

Ahem. Mattham, let me correct you:

"Driving into the cyclists' box at the lights (obviously ? motorbikes too ? look at the picture on the road, is there an engine? No."

YES THERE IS IN TOWER HAMLETS!!!

And that's the problem there is no London-wide rule. In Richmond motorcylists can ride in bus lanes. And in Westminster also many of the bus lanes are biker friendly. And in Tower Hamlets Motorcycles are encouraged to share the space at the front of the lights with cyclists.

My biggest problem with cyclists is those who undertake at speed behind and to the left of lorries or vans ie they are hidden, so that as the lorry driver flahes his lights to let me turn right in front of him I have to be doubly careful in case some cycling twat is undertaking that lorry. I hit one doing just that once and I was the one whose insurance company had to pay fifteen grand odd to the cyclist. Do they (and scooter riders) seriously believe that when they get hit they won't hurt? In the above accident my armoured motorcycle jacket, heavy protected boots and gloves prevented me from getting hurt when my motorcycle landed on me. Idiot cyclist was in lycra and there was blood all over the place because he landed on his chin. Cycle helmets don't protect chins. And small print on most cycle helmets say anyway that they are not guaranteed for effectiveness OVER FIFTEEN MILES AN HOUR!!!

But many cyclists are fine upstanding caring members of the community and ride safely because they DO KNOW they will hurt if they ride like twats.