penalty charge notice yesterday but dated 2004

emc

Hi

I stupidly parked for 3 mins on a single yellow line yesterday whilst picking up my daughter and found a penalty charge notice when I returned - only thing is, it's dated 1/2/2004 (date of contravention) and the same for date of service of this notice. I don't know how this has happened but does it give me any leeway for not paying the ticket?

thanks

I am not a lawyer, but I would say go and buy a lottery ticket - it's your lucky day.

According to the legislation, a notice of enforcement must be made within six months of the date the ticket was served, according to the Civil Enforcement of Parking Contraventions (England) General Regulations 2007. Yours is coming up to eight years. I think the council has missed the boat.

If the council were silly enough to admit the date was wrong, then the ticket would - IMHO - be unenforceable they would be admitting that the ticket failed to include the correct date the ticket was served.

You'll probably need to go through the normal appeal channels. I would venture that if your car was made after 2005 you have a decent excuse right there, anyway...!

You might not have owned the car in 2004, or the Warden might not have worked for the authority at that time.

One year can be an error but eight years is not reasonable.

If the ticket was issued in 2004 the rule that is quoted might not apply.

Civil Enforcement of Parking Contraventions (England) General Regulations 2007.

ibilly99 - do councils ever accept people may made an honest mistake in parking where they do?

Considering the number of dodgy parking tickets issued every year, each one is fair game for whatever technicality you can dig up, as far as I'm concerned.

computedshorty Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> You might not have owned the car in 2004, or the

> Warden might not have worked for the authority at

> that time.

> One year can be an error but eight years is not

> reasonable.

> If the ticket was issued in 2004 the rule that is

> quoted might not apply.

> Civil Enforcement of Parking Contraventions

> (England) General Regulations 2007.

Hello all, my car is N Reg so 1995-1996 so obviously couldn't have owned it in 2004...I think I will phone up and explain rather than risk an appeal. Thanks so much for all advice and info

I jest we live in compromised times and if we can get away with stuff we do - lost count of the number of times I winged a few stops on the old number 12's instead of walking but what I do remember was my dear dad (RIP) making me walk back a mile to the shops to take back a packet of stamps when the shopkeeper had accidentally given me a second packet by mistake. He was as honest as the day is long and it would have never have occured to him to find ways around facing up to his responsibility. He tried to sign up in 1939 but his eyesight let him down he was conscripted in 1940. There are sadly far too many fewer of these folk around today and we are worse off because of it.

Morality is a continnuum and I am probably too far down the line of can I get away with it rather than am I responsible for it. Still to recognise it is part way to solving it. Pay up like a man or woman and seek your recompense in karmic happiness and the knowledge you did right when it would be so much easier to shirk your responsibilty. I for one and many of the board will applaud such a decision - in fact if there is a god they might even let you off so would be win-win all round.

kar?ma (k?rm)

n.

1. Hinduism & Buddhism The total effect of a person's actions and conduct during the successive phases of the person's existence, regarded as determining the person's destiny.

If I was given that extra pack of stamps, I too would return it because someone would lose out. Just as I would always correct incorrect change, etc.

But a parking ticket? Given how many dodgy, sneaky and - lets not beat around the bush - fraudulent tickets issued every year by parking officials. Sorry, but consider this return on bad karma for the council parking people. They deserve it.