I am certain there is something wrong with me

pipsky2008

But I can't stand shoddy workmanship. This is the brickwork done today opposite the coop on LL by the contractor appointed by Southwark Council. I know the faults in this work and I'm speechless. If anyone knows about brickwork and would like to comment, I would be very interested in hearing if you think this is passable and if so on which planet.

I have added two photos, can anyone see them?

fazer71 Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Umm what does it look like on the inside ?

>

> The outer area may look like that so the hardcore

> mixed with concrete bonds better.

>

> But it does look a little odd...

I've added a picture of the interior here, I hope it's visible. Thre's no mortar between some of the joints at all, none of it is pointed, other bricks are not lapped correctly. Either it doesn't matter or it does. I believe it does matter and not just aesthetically but structurally.

There's not much to interpret, it's shite work, really shite.

It's not bonded at all (technique for overlaying the bricks and building corners for strength), the joints look empty, the vertical joints are inconsistent. You'd have to gamble that if the same level of skill was deployed to mix the mortar, then this is an absolute disaster.

The only conceivable reason I can believe anyone has done this in broad daylight is in the hope that no-one pays too much attention before the footings are covered and the problem buried until inevitable structural problems occur.

If you know who's paying for this, bring it to their attention with these pics because this is total robbery.

fazer71 Wrote:

> Yes Shocking !

> But it looks like it's only for cables and once

> there's a lid on it no body is going to see it.

> Maybe that's what's required.

Yes, what you say is true, it is only for cables and not sewerage or water. I wonder myself if it matters but it's just not right. No builder who has received any training would produce this.

KidKruger Wrote:

> There's not much to interpret, it's shite work,

> really shite.

> It's not bonded at all (technique for overlaying

> the bricks and building corners for strength), the

> joints look empty, the vertical joints are

> inconsistent. You'd have to gamble that if the

> same level of skill was deployed to mix the

> mortar, then this is an absolute disaster.

> The only conceivable reason I can believe anyone

> has done this in broad daylight is in the hope

> that no-one pays too much attention before the

> footings are covered and the problem buried until

> inevitable structural problems occur.

> If you know who's paying for this, bring it to

> their attention with these pics because this is

> total robbery.

Who is paying for it indeed. It's publicly funded I would have thought so you and I are paying for it, aren't we?

It's only for cables to terminate into underground, and it looks solid enough to do the job.

The bricks used are engineering holed bricks and the mortar goes through to hold them together one row of stringers and another of headers underground it'll do the job for 100+ years.

Yes its not pretty but I doubt it needs to be as it'll be hidden from the world underground until an engineer opens it to make connections or run new cables.

If it was made perfect around the outside the hard core would just slip past it and then it could move over time.

The more I look at it the more it makes sense.

What benefit would there be to spend time and effort to make it look nice and make every joint perfect?

Not much point it wouldn't do the job any better.

I have retired from the building trade for many years, this is shoddy work ( I do not use the term Workmanship.)

The person who built this is not competant or abe to take pride in this very poor exhibit.

If this was done by any of my former employees they would be sacked on the spot and any wastage of material deducted from their wage.

I can only assume:

These pipes are not for sewage, they are flexabe with only a spiral steel wire to keep them rigid, the inner is ridged and would not permit passage of effluent and soon block, these outer pipes whatever they are intended for will crush under the outer refilled groundwork. If this is an inspection chamber it should be water tight as seepage into it will soon fill the chamber and flow back along the pipes to what? A lower cellar or basement.

If it is intended to be a connection to the sewers there are very strong inspection standards by the Local Authority if inspected by them.

It amazes me just how poor work is so readily accepted these days, if you pay your money you want the job done. correct.

If it is not on your property, you can only make the situation aware to the owners, or if you think it is a hazzard phone the Council Planning Dept.

No there is nothing wrong with YOU.

It's a subterranean service manhole. What did you expect, London stocks with weather struck face work & a few Red-rubber 'coins' on the corners?

It's made from hard engineering bricks and is smooth enough on the inside for the purpose required. And it will probably get backfilled with a bit of concrete or lean mix after, which shores it up.

I don't know what you do for a day job, but the printer might need more paper, or the ink cartridges need ordering from Viking or something equally as important.

NETTE:-S

No, someone clearly unskilled is laying bricks which are not bonded and NO effort has been made to do a basic job.

You could not do this job so badly if you'd had ANY training in brick laying or basic building. The fact it'll be eventually buried and not carry sewage is irrelevant to how fit for purpose it is. Any works inspector would not sign this off, it's sub-standard, the absolute minimum possible has been done. Funnily enough there are so many posters who demand quality builders on this forum, yet propose shite work is OK as long - as it's done elsewhere, presumably !!

A chamber even for holding cables, needs to bear it's own weight and the sideways forces from the surrounding terrain, to ensure best chance of longevity the bricks need to be laid squarely, corners completed and bonded properly. If not, the longevity of the structure cannot assumed, it's just down to luck. If you judge this work as acceptable you're not going anywhere near my ferking printer cartridges !

London stocks would be a stupid choice of bricks as they absorb moisture as I'm sure you know. The engineering bricks used ARE solid but the bricks on their own don't ensure a viable construction - obviously.