Curtains drawn or open at bedtime?

womanofdulwich

I'm guessing so that a burglar creeping around might be seen. If that's the case I think there's sod all chance of that preventing a burglary.

I would have thought that allowing the burglar to case the joint without too much effort by leaving the curtains open would be far more likely to result in a burglary - they'll think the place is empty too.

Closed - it keeps the heat in. Very odd to leave the curtains open at night.

But what to do when you're away?

On balance we've always kept them closed on the principle that burglars check if there's anything worth stealing before taking a risk but if you live in one of those really quiet back streets it may be worth investing in some lightweight muslin curtains that look like they're just privacy curtains during the day, rather than the house is shut up for a fortnight.

My mum and Dad always did - I think its nice to come down -in the summer anyway- and have the sun coming in through the windows. I think I was thinking a burglar would be seen from outside by a passing policeman- ( with his swag bag over his shoulder and torch)and if you look through our window- you would not think " wow" worth breaking into- but what do I know?

Townleygreen Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Never a good diea to leave curtains closed while you're away on a trip - it just tells everyone

> that you are away. Lots of uninterrupted time for you to be burgled!!

But surely if everyone leaves their curtains open if they are away then closed curtains would indicate to a burglar that someone was in? Or am I double bluffing myself?

Loz said

But surely if everyone leaves their curtains open if they are away then closed curtains would indicate to a burglar that someone was in? Or am I double bluffing myself?

Only at night would closed curtains indicate that someone might be in. Especially if lights are on also.

Curtainz closed all the time? Crazy give away that no one's about.

There was an act of respect when a resident had died the curtains in the house would be drawn for a week, or after the deceased had been removed from the home as it was normal to have the coffin in the front room with the door open for neihghbours to come in and see that person layed out in the coffin.

I have not seen this for years now.

Personally I draw the curtains nearly closed as there is a street light outside that shines onto my face in bed.

I would not like to be in the habit of drawing curtains fully at night, unless I over slept to midday, and neighbours started to call to see me in my box.