Computer software insurance. Is this a scam?

stereforth

I was phoned today, out of the blue, by someone claiming to be from "Windows Service Centre". He got me to run a few commands on-screen and up came a list of software "errors". He then tried to get me to pay ?199 through PayPal for five year's software insurance. I politely told him where to go.

Anyone else had a similar experience?

Yes they have called me many times. 3-4 times a week..

If I am bored I waste their time by going along with them..

They claim they are from Windows Support. They are not.

They say they are seeing errors from your computer.. They cannot see erors from your computer.

They Guide you through a few commands (They are Safe)(you can do these commands any time so you are familiar)

>Start

>Type Eventviewer in box.

>Click on Windows Logs.

>Click on System.

They ask you if you can see errors.. There will always be errors.. Not a problem Normal.

They tell you these errors are Viruses. They are not.

Then they tell you they do not need any password but ask you to type an address in your Browser.

You will then be asked to download a program.

These programs allow you to Invite people onto your machine and can be used by legitimate

Tech Support to help you sort out problems remotely.

These people are not Tech Support. They are scammers. They will say that you need to leave the link open

for some time so they can access your problems.

They have complete control of your PC and access to all your files and e-mail accounts

They will come back to you, advise you have problems and tell you that you need special Malware removal Software.

They will take your credit card details.

They may then guide you to a link that downloads further Malware or just keep your Credit card details

and steal your Money..

Just be careful.

Foxy

Willard...we've done that but after the fifth call it's a bit boring but hilarious when you keep them on

phone for ages dangling that carrot and get them to call back.

They called me yesterday, saying exactly the same thing "your Windows software is exposed to fatal errors blah blah"

How do you know I said and when I said I didn't have a Windows system, they put the phone down on me!

Bloody cheek......it really is a scam!

I have had the same call and they are very persistent and if you are not technically confident they can really worry you. Luckily I cottoned on before allowing them to take control of my computer. I did a Google search after I finally got rid of them and was very relieved that I terminated the call when I did. I then found that my teenage daughter had had a similar call the previous week and was far quicker than I was to tell them where to go.

As much fun as those of us computer savvy are to have with them, the sad reality is that many people are handing their details and money to them everyday (why else would the fraudsters do it?). Electronic fraud is so widespread now and often operated from abroad (where fraudsters are pretty safe from prosecution) that I can't see it diminishing anytime soon. Internet fraudsters stole my mother's I'd. She was 65 at the time and it destroyed her life for while. She died a year later. They are scum.

Windows Scam//

You can get rid of them easily..

Polite Versions..

1. All my Windows are double glaized and recently replaced.

2. I do not have a Computer...

3. I have a Mac and do not use Microsoft Windows.

4. I use Ubuntu Linux.. really confuses them .

Not so Polite...

1. You all know what this is...

Fox.