Waitrose opening in Honor Oak Park? WTF....

Angusvanfrehley

I know this is the EDF however a lot of us from over the hill also post here......anyway,

It has been confirmed for a while that Sainsburys are opening a Sainsburys local in Honor Oak Park, now I hear Waitrose are looking to open in what used to be the Old Bank restaurant!

Story was East Dulwich was considered then quickly dropped in favour of Honor Oak as Honor Oak has a London Overground station (old east london line), and is in a commute hotspot.

Personally I dont like Waitrose, very overated, over priced.....anyone know whats happening?

East Dulwich will never be favoured for a Waitrose Store because of the lack of parking.

Parking not that much better Honor Oak Park.

The few short term parking outside The Co-Op now gone due to the 2 new crossings.

Iceland has limited parking at the back of store. (if that is still there)???

Fox..

DulwichFox Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> East Dulwich will never be favoured for a Waitrose

> Store because of the lack of parking.

Nonsense fox, there are plenty of Waitrose stores in urban locations with limited parking.

Jeremy Wrote:

> DulwichFox Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > East Dulwich will never be favoured for a

> Waitrose

> > Store because of the lack of parking.

>

> Nonsense fox, there are plenty of Waitrose stores

> in urban locations with limited parking.

That may well be true... but are they in direct competition with one of the largest Sainsburys in the country

with 500+ parking spaces.

+ a Co-op

+ an Iceland

+ Sainsburys Local.

+ Dozens of Local shops..

I did say a favoured spot.. So if somewhere more suitable then they will go for it.

Fox.

maxxi Wrote:

> I heard it was going to be a Fine Fare, a Mace or

> a VG.

Fine Fare became Somerfields / Gateways..

The company started as a single supermarket in Brighton in 1956.[1] It was one of a series of convenience store chains established in the 1950s, the others being Premier and Victor Value.[2] By 1962 it had 200 shops.[3]

The company was acquired by Associated British Foods in 1963.[4] ABF appointed James Gulliver to the post of Chairman of Fine Fare in 1967: he continued to lead the business until 1972.[5]

In 1986, ABF sold the company to The Dee Corporation (subsequently known as Somerfield).[6] Following this, all Dee Corporation's newly-acquired stores were rebranded as Gateway or closed, and the Fine Fare name had disappeared by the end of the 1980s.

Fine Fare was perhaps most notable for its sponsorship of the Scottish Football League which commenced for the 1985-86 season (beginning August 1985)[7] to the 1987-88 season (which ended in May 1988, around the same time that the last Fine Fare stores closed).[8]

Jah Lush Wrote:

> There is no way you could fit a Waitrose in the

> Old Bank restaurant and for a Sainos in Honor Oak

> Park forget about it. I think the original post is

> another wind-up.

Do I detect a little ED jealousy??

There's definitely going to be a Sainsbury's Local in Honor Oak and I'd wet myself with glee if Waitrose opened in the Old Bank site after all the rumblings on this forum about Waitrose coming to ED. Ha ha!

It would just tickle me hugely after all the endlessly funny chat about Waitrose coming to SE22 and ED being the Notting Hill of the south if Waitrose opened in Honor Oak or Catford or... God Forbid... Penge sur Mer. Lots of furious bugaboo-wielding, house-price fretting bores giving Iceland the evils every time they walked past! Love it! Good day to you too, Jah Lush...

The location for the Sainsburys in Honor Oak Park will be located where the now closed tandoori restaurant was,they will knock through the walls of the two empty shops to the right to expand the space.

My original post was to ask if the whole Waitrose story was true, thats all.

When I was asked about it up town this morning from someone who does not live in the area I thought I would ask if anyone had heard anything, end of story.

Whats all this about a Waitrose in ED ?

Sound like a great idea. Just what the area needs

why doesnt someone start a thread on it ? they could always use the Iceland site or the Coop shop. No one likes the Co-op anywway

or what about a M&S simply food ?

etc

/ends

But rahrahrah, there's one in Beckenham which isn't that far in a car and would be bigger than anything in the Old Bank.

And they sell Faux Gras rather than Foie Gras which apparently is made more ethically. Feeding them more but by allowing them unlimited access to grain rather than stuffing a tube down their gullets.