Driving schools/instructors that teach in an (automatic) KA or Mini?

zeban

I can see how small cars may sound easier - but it's not always great to just have an automatic license.

We often like to get hire cars when we're on holiday or at short notice, and many car hire places have very few automatic hire cars as they're more expensive to maintain.

I doubt it'll make much difference to learn in a Ka as opposed to a Golf, but you will notice that the short wheel base cars can exaggerate every bump in the road making it nerve wracking to learn on streets with speed bumps.

There is a little automatic car that's often parked up on Adys Rd by Goose Green but I can't remember the name of the instructor (pretty sure it's private rather than a driving school). I go by quite a lot, will have a look for you and post back if I see it again. I think you're limiting yourself only learning automatic though. Unless you're planning on emigrating to and never leaving The States...

I would say that most drivers quickly adapt to the size of the car they are driving. I do not think there is anything to be gained by constraining the learning process to a smaller then normal car. I cannot see the point of it?

Not everyone can master the manual gearshift. I know several drivers (mostly women, as it happens) who could not pass the test on a manual but are now competent automatic drivers.

In my view, the ability to drive a manual provides a little more versatility (if you can do it, go for it) but it is not really essential these days; the automatic has become ubiquitous.

Thanks for the info and advice.

I need a small car because I'm ridiculously tiny- 4 foot 10, together with terrible spatial awareness- a difficult combo when it comes to driving! I used to take lessons in pretty big cars- golfs etc, and I felt lost in them, they feel just too huge for little old me! so I really do think it will help me learning in a small car and I'd rather do everything I can to increase my chances of passing. Obviously I know my spatial awareness will grow with eperience but quite frankly I do not enjoy learning to drive and cannot afford to spend loads more money trying to gain spatial awareness in a car which is too big for me.

I have no desire to learn manual. I hated it when I used to take lessons. I spent about ?1000 and didn't get anywhere. I just felt like there were too many things to have to do at the same time (I must have missed that multi tasking gene women are supposed to have!). And I panic when I'm stressed. yes I know people say gears become second nature but really for me I feel like life's too short. I agree if you can do it then go for it but it's definitely not for me, and whilst it may be a bit more epensive I'll actually save because I won't have to take as many lessons and I know I'll be a good, calmer and better driver if I go for automatic.

Thanks Binary star, if you could find that out for me I'd be really grateful.

Lanes School of Driving offer automatic lessons. Most of their cars are Corsa's which are not that big and fairly standard for learner drivers.

However they do have a "Lanes Gold" option - of which some cars are Mini's (and Micra's).

Might suit you - and lesson prices appear to be the same as their regular cars.