Anyone Else Had These.

Drxyster

Over the last few weeks I have had a number of phone calls telling me my computer is infected and that I should switch it on and they will talk me through a way of removing the infection. Needless to say I did not do this and ended the call.

On dialing 1471 the system told me the call came from a three digit phone number,049.Any info or advice welcome,I am very curious, the caller had a very bad line and seemed to have an Indian accent.

SCAM SCAM SCAM

It's a scam, they tell you your Windows program is infected......I told them I'm not using Windows, they put the phone down!

On the other hand my husband, who clearly had too much time on his hand (and knew it was a scam) spoke with them for 30 minutes and encouraged them to call back the following day when he would be with the computer.

Recently there was a similar thread started...I think it's in the Lounge....

bonniebird Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> We had them all the time, we have now registered

> to block all these calls, so far so good!

That's fine for calls which originate within the UK.

As far as I know (to date) International Calls cannot be blocked.

Most nusciance calls come from outside the UK.

Fox.

Anonymous Call Reject ? lets you block incoming calls from withheld UK numbers.

Does not block calls from outside UK.

You would need to block individual numbers. If you do not know that number then that is not possible.

Calls could come from various numbers, countries.

The Telephone Preference Service (TPS) lets you opt out of many marketing calls, and you can register both home and mobile telephone numbers. Once you register, your telephone number is no longer available to organisations that may telephone you with offers and information.

These means these Genuine companies who have agreed to a Code of Practice

Scammers do not follow this code.

You cannot stop these calls anymore than you can stop someone ring your doorbell.

You could make your line Out Going only, but then you would not be able to recieve any Incoming Calls.

Fox. Telephone Engineer for 40 Years.

I love those calls.

Mind, I don't think they enjoy them quite as much as I do.

Specially when I ask to pay by oyster card.

Or when I say "Oh its crashed again, hold on whilst I reboot"

Or "I'm just going to eat my dinner whilst i speak to you" then stuff a handful of Doritoz in my gob.

"OK-AY leps gep to ip" as I spit spicy crumbs everywhere.

NETTE(tu)

Very much like your suggestions ED Effers. I think I may say I am on the computer, asked if I have "Windows" certainly lots of them in my home, very usefuil for seeing outside, also they let lots of light in during the daytime, also useful for telling what the weather is outside, gives us somewhere to hang the curtains. I will endeavour to keep him on the phone for at least half an hour or more, perhaps this will be enough of a deterrent to stop further nuisance calls.

Today's conversation went like this........

Scammer: Are you at your computer?

FJ: No but I can be

S: Good, can you see the Windows Key?

FJ: Yes

S: Can you press Windows key and R R

Does Windows appear?

FJ: No my screen is blank

S: Really? Are you fooling with me or do you want me to help you seriously?

FJ: Yes please help me.....How do you know I have errors?

S: Are you fooling with me?

FJ: I might be fooling with you if this were a scam...........

BEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEP

I managed to tidy up kitchen and throw some rubbish out whilst "checking" my computer!

When I dialled 1471 I got the number below.....

Oh I used to get these a lot, I just started asking them a LOT of reasonable polite questions: HOW do they know I have errors; What type of errors do they see? and PLEASE give me the error codes; How did "Microsoft" get my phone number if I never disclosed it?; So, my PC is having some errors, why don't I see them too?; For security reasons, can you give me your name and your official Microsoft number and I will call you back; .. My favorite is : Oh, sure I can start my computer, WHICH ONE should I start? Would a child's laptop be having the same errors then? Should I start ALL household's PC's and laptops.... They just stumble through saying some pretty ridiculous things... I must have "reasoned" them to death.. haven't got such calls in a while.. Such a horrible scam, they always sound very alarming and pushy, makes me think of more vulnerable people..