AAT Qualifications

Goodliz

Hello,

Does anyone have any experience of doing these qualifications please?

I am planning to start at Level 2 and take the distance learning route rather than classroom based. If it goes well I'll do the next levels.

Just wandered whether anyone had done this and if the level of work was manageable or overwhelming.

I understand these are sort of 'How long is a piece of string?' questions but any feedback would be appreciated.

I am pretty self disciplined at self study and both kids are at school now. My other work is part time so I should be able to fit it in.

Also, did you find the qualifications put you in a good place for finding work in a finace role?

Thanks very much,

Liz

I've not done AAT, but did ATT and CTA, and its really like anything, if you put the hours in, its the only way. I found that the classroom courses were okay, but the exams provided by the training college, a bit distracting. I'd rather have studied straight from the manuals, and get the questions banks, prior to the month before the exams. Also I would have preferred to only do the revision course, that really helped nail what you needed to know or round things up nicely.

I wish you well with AAT, and any qualification like that will help you get into a finance role. After that, most companies will support further study. If you are not in a finance position already, I'd advise you to go ahead and start applying for roles. The fact that you are wishing to learn will also make you a good candidate :)

Goodliz, remind me when I next see you and I'll chat to you about this at school. I'm a CA (not practicing these days obviously) so not much use in terms of the workload you'll face but may be able to help regarding job opportunities or help when you're studying x

Muffins78 and Pickle, thank you both very much.

I've signed up for a distance learning course and now have all the books. I am slowly having a read of them and looking forward to getting started. I shall take on your advice Muffins78 once I get started and can feel more confident about it all.

Pickle, that would be great please. Thank you I will catch you at school when we are both not rushing about!

Thanks, Liz

You have all the confidence you need, if you have embarked on the study :)

I think there is tax modules in AAT, so if there is any help I can give there, plesae ask. Its a shame, because I have literally just binned a lot of my binders, but kept some of course material and some questions banks. I also scanned all the course material, so I can give you the relevant chapters, if you feel reading the material in a different way, would be helpful.

Its question practice which will help nail the exams, especially when doing computations. I made the mistake of trying to learn everything off by heart, rather than practice enough, but hey ho!! :) If you can bring books/legislation into the exams, get familiar with them too, because they will be helpful. Good luck :)