Atticus

Tom Robinson

Jarvis cocker

John peels son

Huey from fun living criminals

Nemone

Adam and joe (recently anyway)

Yeah all manc-y

Someone down south hears more than two northern accents and next thing you know the whole station is rife with it

Tsk tsk atticus. Much to discuss 6 music about and you choose that.

(mark and lard should be back together tho )

Of the norvners, I'm a fan of the keaveney and the laverne

You are probably right, as I don't listen avidly but when I do, it's often some inane wananbe Ashcroft, Gallagher, Kershaw 'esque' northerner, who, it seems is automatically qualified to counsel me on all things music by virtue of their accent, alone.

Atticus Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Not at all, I just find the (perceived) perpetual

> 'northerness' somewhat patronising, 'I know what

> I'm talking about as I'm a Norvenor'. Muso

> snobbery, almost.

Because clearly northerners couldn't possibly know anything about anything could they?

My picks: Craig Charles Funk & Soul Show on Saturday night. Huey's brilliant show on a Sunday arvo. I have to say I find Lauren Laverne annoying but haven't worked out why. I'm pretty certain it's not her accent however.

10 years old this weekend,

"I just find the (perceived) perpetual

> 'northerness' somewhat patronising, 'I know what

> I'm talking aboutI as I'm a Norvenor'. Muso

> snobbery, almost. "

but when does this happen exactly? In all my time listening to the station I've never hear anyone say "I know what I'm talking about as I'm a Norvenor". Or anything like it

I'm gonna side with Atticus at a general level (not Radio 6). Mancs banging on about their unique contribution to music

Stone Roses, one decent album. massively MASSIVELY, M A S S I V E L Y overated

Happy Mondays - joke band

New Order/Joy Divison - the latter (or earlier if you like, we're ok for one album too) New order, mmmm, in all honesty

Slaughter and the Dogs - I ask you

Oasis - if anyone thinks Oasis are better than Blur they need a fucking ear transplant

The Smiths - yes, fair enough

Edited 'cos i forgot Oasis

Sooo, Simply Red are argubaly the 2nd best band from Manchester

Scousers win THIS one hands down.

Rosie - on the whole, what's to disagree with?

I take issue with his ambivelance around New Order, but he gives props to Smiths and says Oasis/Stone Roses are overrated and Happy Mondays are a joke band

I can't see anything false or malicious in any of that (and I say that as someone who has all of the Stone Roses albums)

Ah, and all becomes clear.

Lets think, Manchester, bound to be some more pluses that the usual ones quoted, they gave us Elbow, first album was terrific and I've liked most of their output since, though still a bit confused as to how and when they had National Treasure status bestowed upon them.

Badly Drawn Boy, the Verve (ok, black mark there), I was rather partial to the Inspirals back in the day and quite liked their new stuff on Music 6 recently. A Guy Called Gerald, one of the better ones from that era/genre.

Ooh, George Formby!!

My favver warned me about you types - I used to love Alan Beswick having a pop at scousers on Red Rose Radio back in the 80s and my guilty secret was to listen to Billy Butler on whatever Merseyside station he used to present on. Oh happy days.