Taking a lodger?

I hammer

I have just bought a 2 bed flat, and wish to take a lodger.

The flat is part of a block of 12, and each owner has a Share Of Freehold.

However am I in breach of the lease if I take a lodger, if lease says I can't 'sublet'..or whatever the term is?

If so what are the consequences? - i.e. could i be thrown out, and lose my flat altogether?

Could I avoid any problems, by taking out a Deed of Variation?..(or something similar)

Also is the buildings insurance rendered invalid if I have a lodger without leasehold permission?

I have my own contents insurance, is this rendered void with a lodger..- obviously i will declare the lodger.

(BTW..some of the flats are tenanted).

Any help would be appreciated...

many thanks

Isn't subletting the same as renting out your flat ?

which you wouldn't be doing, you'd just be renting a room out whilst living there - right ?

call the insurance company regarding cover, i don't think the policy will be void an dthe insurance company may be surprised youve even called.

I always get asked when taking out home insurance if anyone other than family live at the property. They want to know if there is anyone else living there in case you have a burglary/damage in which case they won't pay out if it is a 'stranger' and you haven't told them. Not sure what would happen if you did tell them though. They might put special conditions on the insurance.

Like KK said, sub-letting means you move out and rent to someone else.

I dont think you have to worry about taking on a lodger - the sublet clause isnt meant to apply to renting a room out.

For peace of mind, you can mention it to your insurer for clarity & ensure that your lodger has his own property insurance