How is your freehold-sharing?

ianr

I'd be glad of feedback of experience of any of the different modes of managing a shared freehold -- eg, via a company, dormant or otherwise, or through a trust deed. Mine would be as owner/occupier of one of two leasehold flats in a converted house. Anything about specific problem areas would be of particular interest.

Have owned shared freeholds in the past. One was in a building with 4 flats and there was a company already formed when I bought. There was an extremely bossy person already running the company and I just let her get on with it. Nothing needed to be done when I was there though. The building was insured through the company in this instance.

Another time I owned a shared freehold with another flat. We both had 2 storeys. Even though I got on with the other owner really well, when it came time to paint the outside of the building she refused to do her part at the same time. I was on the lower two floors so just paid someone to come and do my bits front and back. I wasn't directly affected by her refusal until she decided to do her bit and then put scaffolding up all over the place and I had to deal with painting and sanding debris being rained down into my front and back garden. Luckily the roof never needed work doing on it, nor the foundations. We each had our own front doors btw. We also each insured our own flats.