Forum Sponsors

http://northwooduk.com/estate-agents/dulwich

Professional Carpet Cleaning at an affordable price - A & M Carpet Care

www.shearwatershutters.co.uk

Advertise here

The East Dulwich Forum
The Bishop, The EDT, The Magnolia. The Black Cherry or another?
Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
messageRe: Green Party and Mayor/London elections
Posted by Jeremy 23 March, 2012 12:42

The cycle docks form an integrated network, you can't just stick one on it's own, several miles from the nearest dock.

Generally speaking the plan hasn't been rolled out to the suburbs yet, so it seems strange to suggest that Dulwich has been specifically excluded. I also heard that Stratford is set to get the bikes, but I think we can all agree that Stratford is something of a special case.

Posted by the-e-dealer 23 March, 2012 12:53

I'm not saying just one dock. I'd suggest Surrey Quays, Camberwell, Peckham. E Dulwich, Dulwich Village for a Start. We have no Tube no silly Chair Lift, no trams It wouldnt cost much to put cycling in. Boris seems Blind to the South

--------------------
Nor do I

Posted by Jeremy 23 March, 2012 14:38

But there is no precedent. No other suburban areas have the bikes. If you look at the map of current docking points, your proposal would stick out like a sore thumb!

Posted by woodrot 23 March, 2012 14:42

there be hills in zone 2

Posted by the-e-dealer 23 March, 2012 15:01

Hackney is just as 'inner London' as Southwark. As is the Western most part of Hammersmith . In fact its further out.
The Scheme goes east and west but not South or North! And we already stick out like a sore thumb. No Tube No Tram and no Cable Car(I'm glad about this one!)

--------------------
Nor do I

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit was 2012:03:23:15:03:02 by the-e-dealer.

Posted by Loz 23 March, 2012 15:22

the-e-dealer Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Yes it was I have tube map with it on. Boris
> Cancelled it.

East Dulwich was on the original Overgorund plans but it fell off years before Boris took the reins. I wouldn't even blame Ken, either - pretty sure TFL changed the plans.

Posted by the-e-dealer 23 March, 2012 15:30

The Mayor is in charge of TFL.

--------------------
Nor do I

Posted by Loz 23 March, 2012 15:59

So you are saying it was Ken's fault then?

Posted by the-e-dealer 23 March, 2012 16:01

The southerly route across south London's existing network of suburban railways underwent many changes before a final route was decided. Initial proposals around 1992 envisaged the western extension running from Peckham Rye to East Dulwich.[40] The 1999 proposals listed four options, all starting south of Surrey Quays:[citation needed]

through Forest Hill to West Croydon station, with a spur from Sydenham to Crystal Palace (a route eventually selected and implemented for part of Phase 1);
through East Dulwich and Tooting to Wimbledon (rejected);
through Denmark Hill to Clapham Junction (the route eventually selected for Phase 2);
through Forest Hill and Norwood Junction to West Croydon (a route eventually selected and implemented for part of Phase 1).

In the final plans, the Dulwich option was rejected, with the western extension terminating at Clapham Junction instead.

Arguments were made for the line to be extended further south to Sutton, but estimates indicated that passenger usage would be so great that the line would be unable to take much traffic north of West Croydon and this option was not adopted.[citation nee

--------------------
Nor do I

Posted by Otta 24 March, 2012 11:58

My wife was sure to vote Ken, but reading THIS is making her seriously think twice.

Posted by Annette Curtain 24 March, 2012 13:01

Realistically I can see the bikes coming down to Camberwell Green, then Herne Hill and round to Brixton & Clapham Common

Maybe if they get to Herne Hill they could morph out towards Dulwich Village

Maybe

Meanwhile, ride your own friggin bike

NETTEsmiling smiley

Posted by Loz 24 March, 2012 21:20

Otta Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> My wife was sure to vote Ken, but reading THIS is making her seriously think twice.

Quite. Livingston has a rather unpleasant side that he somehow gets away with.

Posted by Otta 24 March, 2012 21:36

You don't need to convince me, I think he's a shit. My wife's father is Jewish, and although both if them are proper old skool labour, they are both seriously doubting whether they can vote for this man.

Posted by HAL9000 24 March, 2012 21:58

How bizarre: the Jewish author condemns, "his hugging embrace of Sheikh Yusuf al-Qaradawi, the scholar who supports female genital mutilation, the murder of homosexual people, and suicide bombing so long as the victims are Israeli civilians, deeming even the unborn child inside an Israeli mother's womb a legitimate target, because that child will one day grow up to wear his country's uniform" yet ignores his own religion's genital mutilation of male babies or The King's Torah wherein, "it is permissable to kill the Righteous among Nations even if they are not responsible for the threatening situation," and "If we kill a Gentile who has sinned or has violated one of the seven commandments - because we care about the commandments - there is nothing wrong with the murder" and 'that even babies and children can be killed if they pose a threat to the nation'.

Pot, Kettle, Black!

Posted by Otta 24 March, 2012 22:05

Not all Jews are religious and follow the teachings of the (ancient) Torah. And do you think those that do, all take it literally word for word? Every religion has nutters who will follow ancient texts to the letter. Most religious people are just trying to live good lives.

Why stir HAL, is it just that you can't help yourself?

Posted by HAL9000 24 March, 2012 22:36

The King's Torah is hardly ancient; it was published in 2010 and has been endorsed by prominent rabbis throughout the Jewish community. It represents the worst of modern Jewish extremism.

My post merely redresses the balance.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Back to top of page
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Donate                   Terms of use                  Help & FAQs                   Advertise               RSS rss feed