God daughter is housesitting - do we pay her?

lillyanginger

It is pretty much in the title...

While we frolic in far away places, the goddaughter is house sitting for a little while (2 weeks). She will feed the cats...and that is really it. We like having someone in the house (and so do the cats:)) and while it works for both of us we do NOT want to take her for granted. She is a student, using the time away from her houseshare to live in slightly more civilised surroundings.

What do we do?

Little present from the holidays? Money - how much? I am unsure and would appreciate some comments.

I have house sat for quite a few people who were friends. I didn't get paid. They gave me a present like perfume, wine etc. I have looked after dogs and cats while doing this. I have also had friends who were students house sit for me. They used to beg me to house sit. It gave them a private place away from flat shares etc. Feeding cats was part of it. I would leave her what she likes to eat and drink in the fridge along with a note saying how happy you are that she is able to help you out.

Either my niece or my nephew house sit for us whenever we go away. We do pay them -- ?30 per day -- but for this we expect them to walk our dog, water the garden, feed the cats and not leave the dog alone for long periods. I love the peace of mind that comes with having someone staying in the house (better than any burglar alarm) and not having to send our dog to kennels.

I would think a thank you gift would be nice to show her help is appreciated, but given it sounds like a good arrangement for her too (when I was in my shared house on campus I got quite fed up of having to fight to use the cooker / queue for the shower etc!) and cats are little bother, I wouldn't think making it seem like a job by paying in cash would be the best option.

Maybe find out what her favourite perfume is and get some at duty free and leave a bottle of wine or two in the fridge for her to enjoy while you are away?

In a word, no! she may be doing you a favour but believe me, you're doing her more of a favour- a house to herself is a complete luury when you're sharing.

Buy her in a couple of bottles of wine and tell her she can help herself to any food in the house or buy her in a few bits of food. I'm sure she'll be massively appreciative of that.

Gidget Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Looking after dogs is a lot more responsibility

> than cats. ?30 a day is a lot of money to pay

> someone to be in your house. Professional

> housesitters don't even get that much. They do it

> for the change of scenery etc.

I pay ?45 per day for a housesitter to live in with our dogs and walk them, she is professional from an agency which is why we pay so much! Would love to know where I could find someone cheaper?!

lillyanginger: I think you should pay your goddaughter, she is doing you a big favour as you would pay to have someone come in everyday to feed your cats and also she is a student so could probably do with the money. She may refuse to take the money, in that case just bring her back a nice present.

Marie81 Wrote:

> Gidget Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > Looking after dogs is a lot more responsibility

> > than cats. ?30 a day is a lot of money to pay

> > someone to be in your house. Professional

> > housesitters don't even get that much. They do

> it

> > for the change of scenery etc.

>

>

> I pay ?45 per day for a housesitter to live in

> with our dogs and walk them, she is professional

> from an agency which is why we pay so much! Would

> love to know where I could find someone cheaper?!

>

>

> lillyanginger: I think you should pay your

> goddaughter, she is doing you a big favour as you

> would pay to have someone come in everyday to feed

> your cats and also she is a student so could

> probably do with the money. She may refuse to

> take the money, in that case just bring her back a

> nice present.

I presume you are charged extra for each dog as well. You also have to incorporate agency fees. This person is not coming from an agency. Looking after cats is a doddle compared to dogs.

Professional housesitters are usually retired people who have experience of owning property and who know how things work. They are required to be in the house most of the day. Can only go away for no more than 4 hrs. I believe. The more duties they have the more they can charge.

Mileage is also payable, plus a food allowance.

I would ask her what she likes to eat and leave it in fridge or freezer. One woman I house-sat for left the freezer full of things like chicken breasts and pork chops, and milk was delivered every day. She left all the dog food necessary as well as cat food.

Would you expect your God Daughter to bring her own food?

Or even pay for the cats food?

Would you give her a bill for any of your food she had consumed?

If you had daily milk delivered would you want two weeks milk in your fridge unused?

If you are asking others if you should pay her, you are really asking for support why not to pay her.

Why not settle on what she can expect beforehand.

You want her to be happy and you want to be assured of her security whilst looking after your home alone.

If she is not satisfied there will be no next time.

If she isn't expecting any money, just think how happy her face would be when she finds two 20? notes tucked into her thank you card. It's a token amount really, but it would make a nice night out for a student. She's your goddaughter afterall. Do whatever you think will make her happy. xx

Marie81 Wrote:

>

>

> I pay ?45 per day for a housesitter to live in

> with our dogs and walk them, she is professional

> from an agency which is why we pay so much! Would

> love to know where I could find someone cheaper?!

We used agency sitters before our young relations grew old enough to take on the responsibility of looking after the pets and house. They are expensive and yes, you pay for food, travel and agency fees on top of their daily rate. But they do a wonderful job and we used to return to the happiest pets, a gleaming house and a hot meal. Nieces, nephews, friends etc do a good job too and deserve to be paid a bit I think. I agree that cats on their own are a lot less effort, though.

If she lived at home her parents would be paying for her food.She is your god daughter.

I think you have to give her at least ?50 a week. Students are always poor at the end of term.:'(

I would ask her to help herself to whats in the cupboards but make sure there is bread/ milk/loo roll/ soap powder for when you get back. It depends on how you percieve her needs/ how generous you are- you could always ask her Mum? My son has done this for ?75 a week but had to water the plants/ cut the grass.

Gidget: It would be ?39 for one dog per day so not much more for having two but yes dogs are a lot more hassle to look after than cats as they need walking and entertaining.

sheilarose: We don?t pay for food or mileage, but yes the fee would include agency fees on top of the sitter?s fee. We don?t come home to a gleaming house either, as soon as the sitter leaves we hover and clean up after them but that?s ok as they do a great job looking after our pets and without the service we would never go away.

lillyanginger Wrote:

> It is pretty much in the title...

>

> While we frolic in far away places, the

> goddaughter is house sitting for a little while (2

> weeks). She will feed the cats...and that is

> really it. We like having someone in the house

> (and so do the cats:)) and while it works for both

> of us we do NOT want to take her for granted. She

> is a student, using the time away from her

> houseshare to live in slightly more civilised

> surroundings.

>

> What do we do?

> Little present from the holidays? Money - how

> much? I am unsure and would appreciate some

> comments.

Of course! She is Goddaughter! Don't be tightwads. Sheesh, you had to even ask!

• 1 month later...

Hello all

My name is Renata, 37 years old looking for house sitting from August to November.

I have been working as a nanny in Dulwich area and have references.

I don't charge it as I will be saving money by staying in your house and not paying rent. I am super tidy and have been living with a family in the area who could also give references.

Please do get in touch!

Regards,

Renata