favourite pub in east dulwich (Lounged)

greatallgreat

Not really into pubs, but of all of them I prefer the Palmerston and the Dog in the Village. Both are relaxed, roomy and have a good clientele. The Drum is good, too, because it feels like it's a place that only a few of you know about. Nero

The dog, but only when there is a good guest beer on tap. Last night it was "Fireside." Let's hope there's some left ! I agree with previous post, the Castle is the best place for Guinness, excellent pint and cheapest I know around here. There is an amazing selection of overpriced lagers available at the dog if you're into that.

I also like the dog, mainly for it's ales and the small bar / room to the left as you are facing the pub. I think it used to be a billiards room, at least that's what is written on the door.

@ brendan, i've no idea how some pubs guinness tastes better than others but i suspect it is somehting to do with how much is sold, i.e. the age of each barrel and the frequency in which it is dispensed, thus keeping the lines free of residue.

If anybody has any factual explaination of the great Guinness taste mystery then please correct me.

Brendan Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I have often wondered how they get Guinness to

> taste better in some pubs. I agree that the Castle

> is definitely the best pint of Guinness in ED.

> Followed by the CTP.

Isn't how often they clean the pipes. I used to clean them daily when I worked in a pub (in the days when there was afternoon closing) and the pub was well known for its bitter and Guinness.

I like the Dog because it is closest to me and usually I can find a bunch of reprobates in the afternoon to have a drink with (although saying that I haven't been for a few months).

I want to go to the Gowlett's lucky 7s night and spin a few.

jah lush: no, i was talking about the clock tower, it's a great pub, perhaps you haven't found it yet, no pedant's allowed though...

mockney piers: thank you for the link, i was sure it would have been discussed at length in a previous thread but didn't feel like scanning pages of posts to find it.

bye for now

Horsebox Wrote:

> Cassius, see my edited post, above, for my theory.

I think you are right about how long it has been hanging around. I remember drinking only two or three pints at the Ocean in Hackney and have NEVER EVER been quite so ill the next day in all my life. 'Off' Guinness is a killer - and in a venue draft beer lies around in the pipes for ages. Now I only drink bottled beer in venues and feel much better for it.

The Crown and Greyhound is not in East Dulwich and it's not any good either.

It stinks of chips and the clientele are so old that if it weren't for their obvious wealth you'd have thought they turned up by coach on their way to Eastbourne.

If the doggo is allowed then I think the best pub in East Dulwich is The Hermit's Cave on Camberwell Church St..

Alan Dale Wrote:

> The Crown and Greyhound is not in East Dulwich and

> it's not any good either.

>

> It stinks of chips and the clientele are so old

> that if it weren't for their obvious wealth you'd

> have thought they turned up by coach on their way

> to Eastbourne.

>

I don't particularly like the C&G but they do have a good selection of draft beers and the garden in the summer is nice. As a father did you know that they have a child's entertainer in the garden (or at least they did have a couple of summers ago)?

Cassius Wrote:

> As a father did you

> know that they have a child's entertainer in the

> garden (or at least they did have a couple of

> summers ago)?

I'm glad they are family friendly and that is to their credit.