South Africa - Visitors Advice Please.

LostThePlot

Hi All,

Off to visit SA with work soon, and want to know what are the "Do and Don'ts" when there.

I'll be flying into Port Elizabeth spending 5 days there then driving the Garden route, then spending a few days in Cape Town.

So, is thew hype about the danger in the country justifed? Do I need to make sure I never stop for what look like accidents or breakdowns, (Is car jacking that serious a problem?) IS it universally dangerous to go out at night? I also want to go running while I'm out there. I was imagining running up and down seafronts, around city parks and such like, but all in daylight.

Anyone care to comment? Or, if you keep the same wits about you, that you use in London, you'll survive?

Eric

LTP-Its a little over hyped in the press but that's not to say you shouldn't keep your wits about you as you would in London. I've done that route plus lived there for 3 years so I can tell you all about it in more detail over a coffee. Bottom line is you're a tourist so you will stick out. Don't flash your possessions around, don't go anywhere that your instincts say no to and basically just use your common sense. No need for the flame thrower equipped Beamer, it's a great country and you'll have a wicked time - apart from the PE bit!

My Dad was brought up in South Africa and went back to Cape Town for a visit a few years back. My Aunty and his cousins told him not to go to certain 'ghetto' areas because they were dangerous, but he took no notice and went to a lot of the places most white people think are no-go areas in South africa. My Dad is a humble guy and was a political activist (as was his Dad and Uncle) in South Africa (before him and his family were told to leave!) but has never had a physical fight in his life, so maybe that was why he got a warm welcome.

I think being aware of the poverty and being sensitive to the problems caused by the huge gulf between the haves and have nots in South Africa might help.

CWALD, I've done the same and it's true, not being a South African and having the right attitude will get you into a lot of no go areas. However, I'd never recommend it because it doesn't take much for things to go wrong. If you really must go, it's good to be with a local or at least know somebody living in the Township. Same rules for visiting some rough estate in Manchester. Don't just stroll in with a camera like you're in the Zoo. A memorable experience I once had was attending a wedding in Soweto.

ChavWivaLawDegree Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> My Dad was brought up in South Africa and went

> back to Cape Town for a visit a few years back.

> My Aunty and his cousins told him not to go to

> certain 'ghetto' areas because they were

> dangerous, but he took no notice and went to a lot

> of the places most white people think are no-go

> areas in South africa. My Dad is a humble guy and

> was a political activist (as was his Dad and

> Uncle) in South Africa (before him and his family

> were told to leave!) but has never had a physical

> fight in his life, so maybe that was why he got a

> warm welcome.

To a point CWALD but I have too many dead friends and realtives to agree with you completely.

Bit busy today but will put some stuff together for you over the weekend Eric.

I should pack a good supply of good quality toilet tissue if I were you. In my experience, as soon as one steps onto the Eurostar at St Pancras, standards start to slip. The rest of the world is full of barbarians where even basic personal comfort is difficult to find. The French seem to pride themselves on using pink baking parchment to wipe their nether regions, God himself only knows what goes on in South Africa. They may even use stinging nettles for all you know.

dulwichmum Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I should pack a good supply of good quality toilet

> tissue if I were you. In my experience, as soon

> as one steps onto the Eurostar at Paddington,

> standards start to slip.

Too bloody right....!!!! Eurostar NEVER leaves from Paddington....so obviously journey is doomed from the start....

5 years ago. 10 years ago. Doesn't make much difference CWALD. I grew up with the reality of people I know being raped, robbed and murdered. As did my father and my grandfather and his father, back until when they first stepped off the boat to set up a refueling station for ships back in the 1600s.

10 years of nepotism, non-delivery of services, corruption and just general short sighted incompetence haven?t made it any better though.

Having said that, Eric don?t worry. It is not some kind of warzone. Just be savvy and take advice from the locals about where to run etc. Don?t stop for breakdowns. It is fine to go out at night just keep your eyes open. Don?t drive around the city centre with your window down, door open, phone/watch on display etc.

Out of town you are normally safe. Just don?t be stupid is all.

?1 buys you R14.50 at the moment.

Pretty handy if you are going on holiday (or organising a wedding and honeymoon) over there. Not so good if you live there and are part of an economy that is fast crumbling due to general mismanagement, theft and downright arrogant stupidity.

Just draw out money from the cash points over there. No need to bother with travellers cheques. Just check with your bank here to make sure they don?t charge you a stupid amount per transaction. In my experience it is normally about ?1.50.

Your money goes a lot further. For instance ?100 will get you R1400 but R1400 will go a lot further than ?100 does in London.

Unless you are buying clothes or electronics that is but for restaurants and bars etc you money goes quite far.

I think the daily limit is dependant on your bank.

I normally draw out about R2000 out at a go so as to avoid too many transaction charges. It lasts up to 2 weeks of drinking and eating out every night.

Depends where you are though. In the more touristy places they bump the prices up a bit.

A tank of petrol costs about R200 at the moment I think.

When you are travelling you also have to factor in money for toll roads.