Liverpool

wee quinnie

Liverpool is the 2008 European Capital of Culture.

Plenty to see and do (I'd strongly recommend Anfield over Goodison Park, however in June there won't be much football being played and if there was you'd be lucky to get a ticket). There is always the stadium tour if you're in to footy and you'd get to see Big Ears. :))

If you're not, I'd suggest:

The Albert Docks

The Beatles museum

A trip on the Mersey is pretty cool and a good way to see the Liver buildingn and infamous skyline

Get yourselves over to Crosby. Antony Gormley's exhibition is still out on the beach and it is most impressive.

Paddy's Wigwam

It's a shame you're not there in August, then you could go to the Matthew Street festival.

Religious or not, the cathedrals are both worth looking at. The CoE one is the biggest in Britain, and I think it's one of the largest in Europe.

The catholic one ("Paddy's Wigwam") is an incredible building, and beautiful inside. The 2 cathedrals are at either end of Hope Street.

Other than that, Anna has mentioned the major placs to go... Although I'd give the Beatles thing a miss if I were you.

As you're in to Klimt then you'll need half a day for the rest of the delights of Tate Liverpool. The Walker Art Gallery has an impressive collection of painting, sculpture and objects and the building itself has considerable charm. The Walker is right across from the neo-classical splendour that is St.George's Hall which is a pretty gobsmacking experience If you're into film you should head to FACT on Wood St. It's the best contemporary building in the city centre and is in the middle of the buzzy Ropewalks district. Just across the road from FACT is Alma de Cuba an extraordinary bar cum restaurant in a converted church. Stay at the boutique Hope St Hotel - which has a brasserie and restaurant - and is situated midway between the two cathedrals But most of all just walk around. Liverpool has a unique character and identity and there's an enormous amount of pleasure to be had from wandering around the streets and squares of the city centre. You might want to check this out http://www.liverpool08.com/

I have been to both Anfield and Goodison Park and I prefer the latter.

Contrary to Annasfield's recommendation I would only recommend Anfield over Goodison park if you don't mind one of your fellow fans rolling up a Liverpool Echo and p:ssing on you through it.

That's in the good bit. Anywhere else in the ground you will be sat with Scandinanvians, Cockneys and Irish people who have flown there for the game.

Everton are the local people's club.

Well Mr Dale - that's your opinion and you are entitled to it.

Granted - there are plenty of out of towners to be seen at Anfield. However, "small" clubs like Everton, could only wish for that type of support. Though I guess that's the price we have to pay for being successful.......

I'm curious about your comment re' sitting with the home fans. Is this your personal experience? You obviously don't support Liverpool, so I wondered why you'd be sat with them if that was you? Did you report it to an official? It's a terrible thing to happen and unfortunately every club has a minority of morons who spoil it for others. I have been to Anfield on numerous occasions and have never experienced anything like that.

My cousin had a season ticket on the kop during the 80s. It happened all the time.

It's less of a problem now that it's all seater but I've heard of a couple of occasions which indicate old habits die hard.

As for being a 'small' club then I definitely agee that we are the smallest in the top four.

I have sat in the home end at Anfield myself. Found it a bit dull. I was surrounded by a bus load of Liverpool fans from Lincolnshire. Real Liverpool heart lands.

As for your minority of morons well lets just say we've heard of them..

wee quinnie Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Mr Wee Quinnie and myself are planning on going up

> to L'pool in June to see the Klimt exhibition at

> Tate L'pool. Has anyone got any suggestions of

> other must see/dos while we are up there?

any must do,s. secure your hubcaps.