Have you had a 'Larry David' situtation recently?

Scruffy Mummy

Fans of Curb Your Enthusaiam will know what I mean. For newbies, a Larry David situation can best be described as an awkward social situation where you are in the right but unfortunately no one else can see it!

My most recent Larry situation was today getting the bus home. I was sitting on the inside window seat next to a woman with several shopping bags. It was coming up to my stop and so, I started to gather my bags and myself. I was giving all the signals that I would be alighting at the next stop - adhering to the unwritten bus code that she, as the outside seat occupant should start to go through the motions of gathering herself so as to re-assure me that she would indeed move. She didn't so I said 'sorry, excuse me'. Nothing. So as the bus stopped, I stood up and again murmured sorry. She then tutted, sighed and stood up staying pointedly 'EXCUSE ME'. So I go past her and say, I DID say sorry!!' As I walked down the road, I did a whole Larry monologue that I wish I had said pointing out about the unwritten rule of bus etiquette and how I had held up my end of the deal!!

I've never seen Curb Your Enthusiasm, but that is a blatant breach of bus etiquette on her part.

Everyone who uses buses knows that straightening up and sitting forward in your seat, rearranging your bags and maybe coughing are sure signs you're about to get off.

If I had been there I'd have given you a supportive smile and her a disapproving glare.

I hope that makes you feel better.

Fortunately, Auntie Beeb caters for all tastes.

Non-Curbs can always tune-in to a sidesplitting episode of My Family, All About Me, My Hero, The Vicar of Dibley, Keeping Up Appearances or the vastly overrated French & Saunders.

Actually.. I think my sides have just split. Ouch.

What nationality was she? Some people just do not know the British way of politely leaving a bus, the obnoxious, overbearing, loud mouthed, bullying, lazy, grumpy old cowbag...........(please add the ones I have missed out)

You have my sympathy Scruffy Mummy.

SteveT Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> What nationality was she? Some people just do not

> know the British way of politely leaving a bus,

> the obnoxious, overbearing, loud mouthed,

> bullying, lazy, grumpy old

> cowbag...........(please add the ones I have

> missed out)

> You have my sympathy Scruffy Mummy.

Yeah, right, SteveT - play the race card,who don't you? this type of veiled intolerance makes me sick....almost as sick as sticking a lit joss-stick up my Japs' eye.

S**t, Domitianus, play the race-card, why don't you? Why JAP'S eye? Why not Person of Oriental Ancestry's eye? This type of veiled intolerance makes me sick as a parrot.

Oi, Domitianus, play the species-ist card, why don't you? Why as sick as a 'parrot'? Why should parrots be sicker than any other type of animal?.....etc. etc....

I think Scruffy Mummy, you not only signalled your intentions you perhaps even over-signalled them. Doesn't matter a jot

whether the individual spoke English or not, surely some signs are universal.

Myself I tuck whatever I happen to using as a bookmark into the book I've been reading just before the stop I'm about to alight at and pointedly shove it into my bag.

It always works.

I admire your restraint, she sounds a complete 'beloved aunt' to me.