Cheap double room in SE22 offered for gardener

wee quinnie

We have a furnished double room in our house on Upland Rd. that we would like to offer at a reduced rate to a skilled gardener in return for work in our approximately 500 sq metre garden.

We are a middle aged, non-smoking, vegetarian couple with no children and one cat and would consider a single person or a couple of any age.

The exact rate for the room will be open to negotiation depending on the amount of work offered but we expect to offer a considerable discount on the market rate (which would be around ?600/mth including bills). We would be particularly happy to help out a young person studying or working in the local area in a field related to gardening.

Our garden is very much a work in progress but includes flower beds, vegetable and herb beds, two ponds, a green house and mature apple and pear trees.

The room can be viewed immediately and will be available after Christmas.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello,

I am a gardener and d.i.yer based in Streatham Hill. I have been very lucky to find a very reasonablly priced bedsit with a kind landlord who allowed me to build a workshop in his garden. This came about when I mentioned to him when I moved in that I was studying carpentry. The course was one day a week which meant I had to become self employed to have the flexibility to take a day off every week.

4 years later I have built up a good number of clients in the local area, initially all gardening, but increasingly more d.i.y as I enjoy using my steadily building amount of skills and tools. I find that the workshop is crucial to my work now as well as for my own use.

I still do a lot of gardening work, and I am a commited composter, cider maker, and veg. grower, so gardening will always be a part of my life. I volunteer in Brockwell park community greenhouses most Sundays.

Sadly my landlord died very recently so I have been thinking about what to do when the house is sold and we have to move out. I do not have a date for this and I will not be ready to move by Christmas as there are some old people living here who I currently assist with shopping, so I do not actually know when I will move in fact.

However if you are looking for a long-term resident gardener and would be prepared to devote some garden space to a carpentry workshop please do get in touch. It would be nice to meet you and if you were thinking seriously about having me you would be welcome to visit to see my current workshop and room. I also have a few gardening friends who I could mention you too, in the case that you feel that you would rather have someone who would be able to move in soon or who would take up less of your space. It is nice that you are giving someone this opportunity. It has given me hope of finding something.

Cheers, Robin Smith

Archived