Homeless

right-clicking

Southwark council in their wisdom have decided to end my stay in a homeless unit in forest hill, as of Monday the 6th, I will be put out onto the streets, I do still have my car and at least I am not physically on the street.

Nobody it seems will take in someone in receipt of benefits. even the scruffy cards in newsagents windows stipulate this discrimination. I am on Employment support allowance due to an on-going back condition, this will only worsen sleeping in a cramped car, I am pulling myself apart with worry. I am a 58 year old and in remission from cancer. Could anyone find a place in their heart and home and help a man down on his luck and knees?

A big ask I know!

Ian

I really sympathise with you ... Unfortunately landlords seem take a very dim view of people in receipt of housing benefit.. Tending to judge the book by its cover.. Rather than individuals

My respectable trustworthy daughter,her partner and their two sons have been trying to find suitable housing for nearly 4 years after having no luck with Southwark..even though her partner works full time and only part of their rent would be paid from benefits... Landlords do not want to know !!

I sincerely wish you all the best of luck

This really sucks, sorry you're in this situation. I'm afraid I can't offer anywhere (I live with 4 others in a 2 bed rented flat and it's horrid already and we're getting kicked out in 4 weeks) but have you been to Ace of Clubs in Brixton/Clapham? I used to volunteer there - it's a day centre but they are fantastic at offering advice and practical help on short and longer term budget accommodation, and great with jobs, benefits advice etc too if you find yourself in need of that. I'm sure you know how things work anyway, but they really are great.

Hope things work out for you/

Archived