Childminders vs nursery - any thoughts please!

aandl

Hello everyone,

I am 7.5 months pregnant and exploring childcare options after realising how long the waiting lists are! We have seen 3 nurseries so far with a few more booked in, but I am wondering about childminders also. Sorry to be naive but would love to know people's thoughts on one vs the other, cost differences and recommendations!

Thank you

Lorna

Hi Lorna

I am in the same boat as you (6 months pregnant and looking for nurseries already due to waiting lists).

I am not sure yet, but my initial thoughts are that if it's a small baby, I'd be inclined for a nanny (1-2-1) or perhaps a childminder. However if your child will go to day care when is already walking and has started interacting with other children, a nursery may provide a diversity of stimulating and fun activities (judging for the visits i have made to nurseries just recently).

My second thought is around number of people involved. I am sure that most childminders are lovely, caring and responsible but it does give me a bit more 'peace of mind' knowing that there is a number of people in charge as oppose to the responability only falling on one person.

I'd be keen to hear too from other mums as with you, i am trying to figure out the same answer myself!

Claudia

I think it's a very personal choice, as all things are with babies, and your first instinct is usually right on who and how to look after your own. My first was with childminders until age 2, and second I have in a nanny share with one other child the same age which is working great. For me what I wanted, beyond safey, was one warm, consistent, caring person who got to know what the baby liked, needed etc. Plus a quiet space for naps which I'm not always convinced of at nurseries. I think a good childminder will do lots of fun activities and take the baby outdoors and to classes, but unlike nursery it will be calmer and the baby will get what they need more promptly than in a bigger group.

For my first there were two childminders working together which was great for if one carer had a sick day. Plus double help and less lonely for both childminders. Switching to nursery at 2 felt a bit early to me and she would have been fine another year but by 3 she really needed more kids her age to play/fight with!

I wouldn't panic too much about nursery places. All the good local nurseries have daft waiting lists which I think often are run a bit randomly. Getting a place seems down to luck and calling on the right day! It's worth being a bit persistent and keeping in touch with a nursery to track your progress on the list especially near the time you need a place.

Archived