Learned a new word today

silverfox

comport

As in '... But Judge Jed Rakoff refused to sign off the settlement, which he said ?does not comport with the most elementary notions of justice and morality? ...'

Verb

Formal

1. comport oneself - to behave in a specified way

2. comport with - to suit or be appropriate to [Latin comportare to collect]

Noun

A large, covered glass bowl on a stem, which can be used as a serving piece for compotes

(see http://www.replacements.com/thismonth/images/deans_corner_comport_x.jpg and updated post on page 4)

There seems to be quite a wide band of definitions for it.

com?port (km-p?rt, -prt)

v. com?port?ed, com?port?ing, com?ports

v.tr.

To conduct or behave (oneself) in a particular manner: Comport yourself with dignity.

v.intr.

To agree, correspond, or harmonize: a foreign policy that comports with the principles of democracy.

[Middle English comporten, from Old French comporter, to conduct, from Latin comportre, to bring together : com-, com- + portre, to carry; see per-2 in Indo-European roots.]

The American Heritage? Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition copyright ?2000 by Houghton Mifflin Company. Updated in 2009. Published by Houghton Mifflin Company. All rights reserved.

I like the word comport: it'll be added to my vocab. henceforth.

I came accross another new word recently. Take a look at this report of Serena William's recent outburst:

According to the Grand Slam Rule Book, unsportsmanlike conduct when referred to the Grand Slam committee can be treated as "aggravated behaviour", which "is flagrant and particularly injurious to the success of a Grand Slam, or is singularly egregious".

"egregious" in a set of sporting rules; now that is class.

Just came across another word today that is new to me (but maybe not to the erudite and French speaking members of the Forum).

Rou?

As in: "Alan Clark, the notorious parliamentarian and rou?, left behind a cache of explosive material for his biographer, Ion Trewin"

rou?? [ roo ?y ] (plural rou??s)

noun

Definition:

debauched man: a man who regularly engages in drinking, gambling, and womanizing ( literary )

[Early 19th century. < French< past participle of rouer "break on the wheel" (a medieval instrument of torture) < Latin rotare (see rotate)]

Word History

The term rou? is thought to stem from Philip, duke of Orl?ans and regent of France (1715-1723), who humorously designated his debauched companions as rou?s, either to suggest that they deserved to be broken upon the wheel or because their behaviour was so exhausting that they felt they had undergone this torture.

Who?

First I've heard of it.

Anyway I always wanted to be infamous, it's always sounded much more exciting than being chivalrous Sean.

It's rather like a woman you fancy telling her best friend that you're 'nice'.

You will never get under the covers with her with that unfavourable description.