Squirrel trap

Alex K

Anyone have a squirrel trap in the shed, available for short-term loan? Shouldn't be more than a fortnight. Usual compensation (bottle of wine, lashings of gratitude -- in the non-FIFTY SHADES sense). Thanks for considering it.

Grey squirrels -- the only kind around here, at least now that they've infected and bullied the red ones into near-extirpation throughout England -- are classed as foreign vermin. Between the damage they did to my peach tree last year and my potted plants over the winter, I'm not their pal any more. Illegal to released trapped grey squirrels.

"Two guys, one shopping trolley, fresh pasta. You do the math." Replace the variables in this equation with grey squirrel, irate householder, and trap, setting out your answer in the rectangle at the bottom of this page of your text booklet. Show your work in the remainder of the blank space provided.

Good timing for BBQ season too. Sounds tasty although I have yet to try it for myself. Tip from Jamie Oliver's farmer buddy quoted in the Telegraph a few years ago:

?Straight on the barbecue, brown off, bundle in foil with a bit of olive oil and rosemary and let it cook away. Garnish with a splash of burdock wine ? it tastes like rabbit.? http://www.telegraph.co.uk/foodanddrink/9438410/Jimmy-Doherty-Jamie-Olivers-mate-says-barbecue-grey-squirrel-this-summer.html

Happy hunting!

At least whilst the squirrels are bark stripping my trees and replanting my pots with peanuts, I can rest assured that they are not stuffing the entire planet like we are.

The meek shall inherit the earth.

Yeh, I know, nothing meek about a grey squirrel.

Under the Animal Welfare Act 2006 it is illegal to cause ?unnecessary suffering? to an animal under your care. This includes animals caught in traps, like squirrels. While it is legal to trap and kill a squirrel it's illegal to kill it by drowning, asphyxiation or bludgeoning to death.

The RSPCA believe it is very hard to kill a squirrel without causing ?unnecessary suffering? and most people - who aren't professional pest controllers - will therefore be in breach of the law if they attempt this activity.

In 2010 a ruling means that people involved in killing squirrels are at risk of prosecution and a fine - unless they can demonstrate they have done this legally ie without causing "unnecessary suffering" http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/earth/earthnews/7898494/Hundreds-face-fines-for-killing-squirrels.html

Apart from the legality, there's very little point in killing individual squirrels as new animals will just move into their territory. The RSPCA suggest other methods for keeping them at bay. http://www.rspca.org.uk/servlet/BlobServer?blobcol=urlblob&blobtable=RSPCABlob&blobkey=id&blobwhere=1062684074395&blobheader=application/pdf

Thanks for your concern, Kristen. I've done my reading, which has prompted me to secure a "priest" and a Hessian sack as recommended if one is to make away with the beasts -- since, they being foreign vermin, to release them is illegal, don't you know. http://www.rsne.org.uk/sites/default/files/Grey%20Squirrel%20Trapping%20Guidelines.pdf and http://www.doeni.gov.uk/niea/grey_squirrel_control_code_of_practice_bh_glens_grp_-_2010_edit_v4.2.pdf are my authorities.

"Demonstrate they have done this legally" -- you'll have me done for harbouring squirrel snuff videos on my mobile. But how else is one to demonstrate the legality of slaughter techniques when the RSPCA come calling? Tricky one, that.

I've just been alerted to this thread.

Can't believe that everyone is OK with it.

Trapping squirrels to barbecue? Trapping squirrels because they're spoiling your garden? Knowing that it's illegal to release them.

So let's just kill them?

Alex K,

I'm sickened that you find it so amusing.

Someone who makes light-hearted comments about killing wildlife obviously doesn't care.

It's a living creature. Maybe with babies. Living it's life.

How dare you murder it, just because you feel like it.

Do you have a rifle or a handgun?

Neither? So you're going for the hessian sack & beating it's brains out because it made the mistake of venturing into your garden.

People like you make me sick.

I second that Aquarius. Totally inhumane and pointless, because as someone points out above, thre are so many squirrels in the area that killing one or two will not stop squirrels in your garden Alex. We put bird mesh over the soil base of our potted plants (and the plants grow through it) and it works a treat.

Alex K, you are doing a great job getting rid of these damned vermin. I'd hold off on eating them though as my cat got worms from eating them.

Don't let these suburban numpties put you off with reference to the RSPCA. They are vermin and you are entitled to exterminate them. Choose whichever way you want. Drowning is best - no noise, no mess - job done in a few seconds.

My neighbour is an expert, uses peanut butter and in the space of 2 weeks cleared them all out in our area. It took over a year before one reappeared.

Good hunting mate!

@AlexK I guess coming on a forum and dismissing suggestions that you should kill the squirrels you trapped "humanely" might be taken as evidence of the way you were intending to kill them.

As pointed out - it's legally OK to trap and kill squirrels - it's not OK to do this cruelly.

What Green Goose is suggesting is considered cruel and is an offence under the Animals Welfare Act 2006.

And yes - they're considered pests, so if you trap one it is an offence to then release it into the wild again as you're then considered responsible for it and all it's offspring.

But this doesn't mean that you're allowed to kill them in an inhumane way.

I wasn't in anyway implying by my post that you shouldn't kill them or you were wrong to do so - I was trying to point out that legally you need to do this in a certain way.

The reason the law is there, I'm guessing, is because generally people find the unnecessary suffering of animals abhorrent. I was hoping you'd say that you were aware of this and had some legal method planned.

You are traceable from your log on and details given on this forum - so yes if the RSPCA comes knocking you will have to demonstrate that any squirrels you've killed have been dispatched humanely.

So maybe you'd better start setting up the tripod for those snuff movies - just so you can prove what a hero you are ridding us of this "foreign vermin" and not a sadistic nutter who causes unnecessarily suffering to animals.

Green Goose Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Alex K, you are doing a great job getting rid of

> these damned vermin. I'd hold off on eating them

> though as my cat got worms from eating them.

>

> Don't let these suburban numpties put you off with

> reference to the RSPCA. They are vermin and you

> are entitled to exterminate them. Choose whichever

> way you want. Drowning is best - no noise, no mess

> - job done in a few seconds.

>

> My neighbour is an expert, uses peanut butter and

> in the space of 2 weeks cleared them all out in

> our area. It took over a year before one

> reappeared.

>

> Good hunting mate!

Drowning is illegal. As is all inhumane killing.

Fuck you and your ignorance.

Green Goose Wrote:

> aquarius moon Wrote:

>

> >

> > Drowning is illegal. As is all inhumane

> killing.

> >

> > @#$%& you and your ignorance.

>

> I know it's illegal. So I am not ignorant.

> It's quick and efficient. Needs must.

Yes, you are ignorant. You just need to get a heart and you might feel differently.

Green Goose Wrote:

> I'd hold off on eating them

> though as my cat got worms from eating them.

Admittedly sounds unappetising, but the parasite will be eliminated within the first few seconds of hitting the barbecue. Or if you keep the meat in the freezer, then it won't survive that either. I suspect it's safer than many supermarket chickens.

Out of interest, how do you know it was the squirrels? Top marks to your cat by the way - none of mine have ever taken one on, although in fairness their ratting skills have been good.

Incidentally, I'm looking forward to the protests about the cruelty of animal slaughter on the 'Rats at East Dulwich Train Station' thread, once Southern has completed its investigation and appointed a rat man.

There's heaps of tips out on the web about how to catch/snare/kill vermin. It's mostly USA based. The ingenuity of some designs is quite amazing. I personally prefer the "Figure Four" trigger designs which can be combined with snares or deadfalls.

Here's a few samples:-

https://survivalsherpa.wordpress.com/2014/07/31/how-to-build-a-stairway-to-heaven-rat-trap-in-15-minutes/

http://www.wilderness-survival.net/food-2.php

http://chrismolloy.com/page.php?u=p139

https://trapbarn.com

Happy huntin, folks.

Archived