Help migrants camping in Calais

judith.arkwright@hot

• 3 weeks later...

I have a large bag of bedding, mostly duvet covers of various sizes and pillow cases and one sleeping bag. Do you think these could be of any use and, if so, please let me know how to get them to you before you go?

Thanks

I can't believe what I am reading here.

And it's Christmas.

Well, some of us want to help other people in need. Nygel and I are organising a concert at The Ivy House on 15 January to raise money to help refugees in Calais and Lesbos. You can read more here:

http://thegooseisout.com/benefit-concert-for-refugees-details-tbc/

If you'd like to hear some great music and also know that (almost) all of your ticket money is going to help people who are very much worse off than you, please consider buying a ticket.

Tickets available here:

http://www.wegottickets.com/thegooseisout

Green Goose Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> The vast majority of these emigrants are from a

> different faith from you. In their eyes you are an

> infidel. They will take your charity and still

> despise you. They hate you and me with a religious

> zeal that you regrettabley cannot conceive.

Green Goose, you are a fool. Or at least you're giving a very good impression of one.

Yes, some people have "a religious zeal" that I'm sure I cannot conceive.

Those people include some Christians. Some Christians who hate other kinds of Christians. Let's therefore boot out all Christians from our country. After all, they weren't here first. And I'm not a Christian, so they too have a different faith from me. Some of them think I will go to hell because I don't believe in what they do. Some of them blow people up.

It's Christmas. How about opening your hard heart a little crack and empathising with families who have lost their homes and have had to flee from unimaginable horrors?

It must be really really awful to be like you.

Or are you just a troll and don't actually believe what you are posting here? It must be really really awful to be a person who wants to troll, too, so either way, I genuinely pity you.

What an unhappy life you must have.

ETA: Judith Arkwright, good on you for doing something.

I think that the real victims are the people left / stuck in Syria..

.. Poor people who do not have the ?10,000 / $10,000 to pay the unscrupulous traffickers the fare to get themselves and their families a place on one of the boats and a chance to get to Greece.. and onward.

To have that sort of money they would of been very rich in Syria.. I understand that many of these people lost

their lives in the attempt to reach 'safety'.... but it does show another element to this story..

I think that these people may well be happy to settle elsewhere in Europe and not seek financial benefits of the U.K. Whilst those in Calais are more likely to be seeking financial benefits.. After all they have already reached safety... and many are not from Syria.

DulwichFox

DulwichFox Wrote:

Whilst those in Calais are

> more likely to be seeking financial benefits..

I know somebody who has recently been in Calais helping the refugees there.

With respect, I don't think you know anything about the situation that these people are in.

Sue Wrote:

> DulwichFox Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> Whilst those in Calais are

> > more likely to be seeking financial benefits..

>

>

> I know somebody who has recently been in Calais

> helping the refugees there.

>

With respect, I don't think you know anything

about the situation that these people are in.

Don't I ? I know that the Migrant situation is not new and has been going on for more than a decade...

.. first becoming a problem for the French people back in 2002...

Did you know that. ?

Foxy

Of course.. The influx of women and children is recent problem.. where they may well be joining their spouses.

It's a very different problem.. In the main they are not hi-jacking lorries.. like the men.

The people are making their own way there. Many have travelled through Germany where they have been made

very welcome in the main and would be safe.. housed and fed..

If they are intent to reach the UK. then that is the grim facts.. and I don't know the long term solution.

If we send food and blankets then what. ?? We seem to be very good at short term fixing. The sticking plaster solution without having a clue how to resolve this very difficult problem..

DulwichFox

I am extremely proud of Jai Harrower who will be in Calais cooking for the refugees. Jai is an amazing young man, who is the son of my very dear friend Linda Harrower, and the brother of lovely Matiga Harrower, who has the Crystal stall on Northcross Rd market.

Lets be united at this time of year, sadly not everyone will be celebrating Christmas, going home to a nice cooked meal.

The refugee situation has become desperate and if we all do a little to help, by donating money, food, time or clothes. Then it should surely help the situation both here and calais.

I really don't understand why it is necessary to have to comment on someone else's goodwill so negatively.

If it's not in keeping with your own beliefs, that's fine. But it is a bit unkind to be so vehmently state your disagreement. It's not a post about whether you think it's a charitable cause or not.

Live and let live.

Archived