Recommendation for TV engineer please!

franki_k

Hi all,

I'm really annoyed that my LG TV which, though a few years old now, was not cheap is refusing to interface with any external speakers that I try to hook it up to.

I have tried my Sonos system and a Soundbar, both of which work perfectly with other input devices so I'm 99% certain it's a problem with the TV. I've spoken to LG's helpline and have verified that all settings are correct so they are telling me it's most likely a fault with the TV and I will have to call an engineer.

I've been quoted ?75 for someone to come round and take a look but there's no guarantee that they will even be able to fix it.

I'd like to get some other quotes and ideas if poss - does anyone know of anyone they can recommend, or perhaps someone is just particularly good at this kind of thing and would pop round to just verify once and for all that it's not just me being silly before I shell out all that cash for something which should just work anyway? I would happily reward such a person for their time with a bottle of nice wine...

Any help gratefully appreciated. Currently the appointment is booked in for Friday so I haven't got loads of time to source alternatives... I'm located very near The Actress pub, just off Crystal Palace Road.

Thanks in advance East Dulwich!

x

Thank you, B+. It's a helpful suggestion, but given I have already run through everything live on the phone with LG's own team and they have confirmed I have all settings correct, so not really sure how much value a tutorial would add in this instance. :-(

Am i right that you are trying to get the audio from the TV to the Sonos? if so what you described above maybe the problem the audio from the TV should be output not input, many TVs over that last few years dont have a wired output they only have a single optical output which only the sonos playbar has not the general sonos system.

does that make sense?

Thanks Pablo. That absolutely does make sense. The thing is, I thought that this might be the case which is why I bought the Kit Sound sound bar to act as the interface between the two systems, but the TV doesn't work with that either so definitely a TV problem.

Have tried optical cable, HDMI ARC and simple aux cable. No sound at all from the first two, but funnily enough, using the aux I could get sound to come out but only very distant and by turning the volume all the way up so lots of reverb, if you catch my drift?

The fact that I can make even a little sound come out though is curious, don't you think, as does suggest it's a setting thing rather than an out and out fault.

on some of these TVs the audio output has to be specified in the TV and depending on settings the volume will either be controlled via the TVs remote or the soundbars one

optical will only ever output fixed so volume controlled by soundbar

Arc cdmi this is fixed level too so controlled via soundbar, check as well many TVs only have ARC on one of the cdmi inputs

some sets have option to change the aux output from variable to fixed this may help.

the other option is to see if the screen has a headphone jack you could then take a feed from this with a minijack to phono cable which you should have got with your sonos

Archived