HELP WANTED: participants for online study on health behaviour perceptions

ajsevern

Thank you for taking the time to view my plea for participants. I am an MSc student at UCL and East Dulwicher who needs input from the general population. I hope you'll be able to help me out on my project. Below I have included a small description below and a link to the survey site.

Why do doctors smoke?

It seems bizarre that those who are the most 'in the know' about the deleterious health effects of smoking and drinking alcohol should inhale and imbibe these products at sometimes dangerous levels. For example, anyone who has ever gone out partying with a student nurse knows that they'll drink you under the table. So why do they do it? Why, in an age where everyone knows the dangers of smoking, does anyone smoke at all? What has caused them to accept that risk?

The general population has a fairly good understanding of what is required to maintain good health, even if they do not have the same clinical understanding as doctors and nurses.

They know that smoking anything at all is bad for you. They know that drinking too much causes damage to self and society. They are bombarded with public health messages telling them to eat their 5-a-day and exercise for 30 minutes each day. OR ELSE....

I am conducting a qualitative study on the barriers to protective health behaviour in the general population, with the aim to use the responses I get to improve a novel measure of risk acceptance. This measure will, in turn, help to create interventions capable of targeting an individual's barrier to action. In doing so, it is hoped that the measure may be used in the public sphere to motivate people into taking the first step towards a healthier lifestyle.

https://opinio.ucl.ac.uk/s?s=44019

Please click on the link above to add your opinions of why you personally do not engage in healthy behaviours.

This questionnaire is completely anonymous and the data will only be used within this current research project and nowhere else. If you have any questions or comments then you can send me a PM

Ethical approval

This study has been by approved by University College London's Research Ethics Committee 01/06/2016 (6692/001).

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you so much for your help so far,

I am only about 30 participants away from being able to do the analysis!

I am going to do one final push/plea/beg for volunteers to complete the survey. For some who are really healthy; the survey will be super quick (Please take the time to reflect and explain in detail. I am especially in need of views from a population of people who do not exercise and who enjoy a pint of beer/glass of wine at least 3-4 time/week.

Thank you again for all your help! I will post an update once the analysis is done letting you know how your views have influenced a risk measure in health psychology :)

Archived