Wanted- Enclosure for my external hard drive which has died

anelia

Hi,

I have a Seagate 2TB external hard drive, where I have backed up about 3 computers worth of photos and documents (some of which have now been deleted or the old computer has been thrown away)...and although just over 2 years of age and not very much used, died on me recently.

The power cable is working, and after putting my technical skills in use, Ive removed the actual drive from its enclosure.

I'm just wondering if anyone has an old external hard drive they don't need any more, which I can remove the enclosure from, and and see if my one will start working again when in that enclosure?

Many thanks,

Anelia

Hi NomDePlume, thanks a lot for your reply!

I've managed to get my hands on a pretty broken desktop PC tower and after a bit of high tech work (self taught very proudly!), I can see that I can recover the lost data from my external hard drive-- I just need to buy a new external hard drive to transfer all the stuff to...a 4TB WD is about ?120 at the mo, that's why I was hoping to salvage my current one for a little longer so I can save up for the 4TB one!

Thanks Sally for your suggestion that looks really good actually :)

Ianr-what a great idea thanks! Yes i could try that and see if the enclosure stills works all ok in which case its just the drive itself that's faulty

NomDePlume-thanks for the helpful suggestion, how frustrating that you pay good money for external hard drives and they just use rubbish cheap components

• 2 weeks later...

Hello,

Thanks for the offer but ive actually gone and bought a new hard drive now.

southeastelectric Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Can test both and tell you where the problem is

> for ?10

> For ?25 I can fix the issue if possible

> Text me on 07477 626488

Archived