Small request for XMAS from Peckham Foodcycle...

Jacqui5254

Dear All,

there was a fantastic and generous response from the kind people who contributed containers to Peckham Foodcycle,

We filled each and every one with extra food for our appreciative guests to take away.

Our Instagram page shows off what our volunteers do, so please check out our activities! ...https://www.instagram.com/peckham_foodcycle/?hl=en

We plan to have our last meal this year on Wednesday, 19th December and intend it to be a Christmas celebration!

Our volunteers are contributing everything we can, including decorating the hall and cooking a fabulous three course meal with whatever suprlus food we gather on that day.

Our guests are only there for a couple of hours but we want it to be a generous and memorable session, recognising how special they are and giving whatever support we can.

REASON FOR THE REQUEST IS.....we are hoping to give our guests a Christmas gift through a Christmas Raffle.

We are doing what we can but we have approx 40 guests and it would be great if we could make sure they all feel important!

Do you have anything you would happily part with as a gift? Toiletries? Food treats? Something to keep you warm? Something to give you a bit of a boost? Something that says you are great?!!

If you do, we would really appreciate it if you can donate an item for our Christmas Foodcycle session.

And do you mind me adding this...I am happy to come and pick up ANY contribution. I live in ED. However, if you live further out and would be happy to drop it at my flat [although I really want to be able to say thank you, personally], then that would mean a lot so that we don't use up other resources, eg by driving. [please pm me for my address].

If you have got this far, Thank You!

If you want to contribute, however small, that would be awesome!

kind regards, Jacqui.x

https://www.foodcycle.org.uk/location/peckham-hub/

Hi yeknomyeknom!

That would be awesome [and beyond the call of duty, but so gratefully accepted!].

They would also enable the guests to re-heat the food in those containers... [those who have access to a kitchen].

SO kind of you!

Have pm'ed my details.

Jacqui.x

flocker spotter, that would be GREAT! Thank you!

Yes, it is an ongoing need because we can give any extra food to those who want/need it every week, but also very few people hang on to the containers, mainly due to the lifestyle or opportunities they have so we go through quite a lot.

Also, I don't know if you are familiar with the Albrighton Centre [which is opposite Sainsburys and a bit further up on Dog Kennel Hill?]. They have an awesome arrangement of providing free food from a large kitchen for anyone who needs it and they frequently have a shortage of cartons/boxes, for people to take away food they are given.

Today they supplemented the food we had for our Peckham Foodcycle Wednesday and so I gave them a few of the boxes I had, so I definitely know there is an ongoing need.

Check it out if you are interested, they provide an amazing service!

https://www.neighbourly.com/project/59539b5dc7ac8903400c4c56/information

We try to reduce food waste, recycle, re-use and look after the planet, but if there are containers to be had then we can definitely use them in Peckham and East Dulwich!!

many thanks for your kindness,

Jacqui.x

Jacqui - hello, Poundland in Rye Lane sell packs of thin plastic boxes, the type you would get a takeaway in, disposable so doesnt matter if it is stained, with turmeric or whatever.

Metal, aluminium containers cannot be used in a microwave.

I will have a root through cupboards and ask family, we will have a good selection - for a worthy cause !

Hi moondancer! Thanks for your kind offer, they will be used, for sure.

We try not to buy extra plastic things if we can, and make use of any type of container that people bring in.

You'll be surprised what can be used to take home some left over food!

So any clean receptacle is useful, especially if they have fitted lids, and for that reason we remind people what can and cannot use in an oven/microwave, etc!

I've been really heartened by the response, so thank you once again.

Jacqui.x

• 4 months later...

Dear All,

there was a fantastic and generous response from the kind people who contributed containers to Peckham Foodcycle.

We filled each and every one with extra food for our appreciative guests to take away.

Our Instagram page shows off what our volunteers do, so please check out our activities! ...https://www.instagram.com/peckham_foodcycle/?hl=en

We plan to have our last meal this year on Wednesday, 19th December and intend it to be a Christmas celebration!

Our volunteers are contributing everything we can, including decorating the hall and cooking a fabulous three course meal with whatever suprlus food we gather on that day.

Our guests are only there for a couple of hours but we want it to be a generous and memorable session, recognising how special they are and giving whatever support we can.

REASON FOR THE REQUEST IS.....we are hoping to give our guests a Christmas gift through a Christmas Raffle.

We are doing what we can but we have approx 40 guests and it would be great if we could make sure they all feel important!

Do you have anything you would happily part with as a gift? Toiletries? Food treats? Something to keep you warm? Something to give you a bit of a boost? Something that says you are great?!!

If you do, we would really appreciate it if you can donate an item for our Christmas Foodcycle session.

And do you mind me adding this...I am happy to come and pick up ANY contribution. I live in ED. However, if you live further out and would be happy to drop it at my flat [although I really want to be able to say thank you, personally], then that would mean a lot so that we don't use up other resources, eg by driving. [please pm me for my address].

If you have got this far, Thank You!

If you want to contribute, however small, that would be awesome!

kind regards, Jacqui.x

Thanks Jenny!

Yes, we are familiar with Olio..a great connection! We seem to have surplus food contributions pretty well organised,it's just a few Christmas gifts for our guests that we could do with....

I have had a small number of kind EDFers contact me, but if anyone locally has the odd gift of toiletries, interesting books, food/sweet items, something that would make you feel good, then I am happy to collect and wrap for our Peckham Foodcycle meal on 19th December.

It doesn't have to be extravagant. A chocolate orange, a nice hairslide, an interesting book,some shower gel, etc.

All welcome, and all to ensure our guests get a little something at Christmas. Happy to collect locally!

Thank you.

Archived