Free working computers or components from 2012 or later , please

se22cat

I like to repurpose older hardware to save it from the skip and combine parts to make the best pc's possible, giving computers a new life and preventing them going into landfill either here, or abroad after being stripped.

I can provide free software to securely wipe hard discs such as dban which will ensure ALL data is gone, unlike a windows reinstall or format.

Components made from 2012 onwards are far more power efficient and contain less harmful elements, leading to less environmental effects and are not yet prone to bitrot and still viable for use today, hence my focus on them.

Sadly, no, your friend's best bet is to look on Reddit, try the data hoarder sub and ask for recommendations for a data recovery firm - there are a lot of cowboys out there sadly. If she kept the hard drive in a sealed bag full of rice, that would help dry it out internally in the meantime.

There is a very good chance the photos are still OK, but recovery can be VERY expensive. Do suggest her to use at least two cloud backup services from now on both on mobile and desktop to avoid losing precious photos again.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

Archived