Forum Sponsors

Francis Stone – Independent Mortgage Brokers
xxxx
www.takeflightacademy.co.uk

www.advancedpainters.co.uk

Advertise here

The East Dulwich Forum
Would you recommend your East Dulwich doctor, dentist or butcher?
messageFree working computers or components from 2012 or later , please
Posted by se22cat January 27, 01:13PM

I like to repurpose older hardware to save it from the skip and combine parts to make the best pc's possible, giving computers a new life and preventing them going into landfill either here, or abroad after being stripped.

I can provide free software to securely wipe hard discs such as dban which will ensure ALL data is gone, unlike a windows reinstall or format.

Components made from 2012 onwards are far more power efficient and contain less harmful elements, leading to less environmental effects and are not yet prone to bitrot and still viable for use today, hence my focus on them.

messageRe: Free working computers or components from 2012 or later , please
Posted by Neila January 27, 01:37PM

Would you be able to save content from an harddisk.? My friend save the hard disk from a computer that was damage by water. Her flat was flooded unfortunately but she would like to have the picture in the hard disk...

Posted by se22cat January 27, 03:32PM

Sadly, no, your friend's best bet is to look on Reddit, try the data hoarder sub and ask for recommendations for a data recovery firm - there are a lot of cowboys out there sadly. If she kept the hard drive in a sealed bag full of rice, that would help dry it out internally in the meantime.

There is a very good chance the photos are still OK, but recovery can be VERY expensive. Do suggest her to use at least two cloud backup services from now on both on mobile and desktop to avoid losing precious photos again.

Posted by jenny pink January 27, 09:24PM

Hiya,just seen a computer freebees post in the offer section....notified him about this post....Jenny

Posted by se22cat February 12, 10:24AM

Hi Jenny, thank you, am more after desktop stuff in general, but thanks for looking out. Just rehomed a recent donation, which was great fun to work on smiling smiley

Back to top of page
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Donate                   Terms of use                  Help & FAQs                   Advertise               RSS rss feed               Copyright 2006 - 2018 East Dulwich Forum