Excessive snot

crystal7

Please excuse the subject matter, not one to read if you're about to eat!

My daughter is 4 in February and throughout the winter months suffers from a constantly running nose. There are 2-3 week periods when it stops before starting all over again until Spring/Summer. I have to be on guard with a tissue as she is unable or unwilling to blow her own nose (will wipe sometimes)and as a result her nose can get rather sore. There are no other symptons of a cold e.g. she eats and sleeps normally, doesn't have a sore throat or a cough. Sometimes the snot is very dark and green (sorry). It's been going on for 2 years.

I have taken her to the GP several times as it doesn't seem normal to me. I know that children get all sorts of viruses at this time of year, I am a primary school teacher so well used to snotty children! But the fact that it doesn't seem to be a cold as she isn't ill is strange? GP said it was completely normal and would get better as she gets older. I asked about allergies but was told that was very unlikely given we have no family history and that there are periods of time when she is without snot. I have an appointment to see a different doctor next week. I wonder if anyone else has experienced this in their child? I hope I don't come across as neurotic, just feel sorry for her having me hovering with tissues when she's trying to play...

She goes to nursery 3 days per week by the way.

Thanks!

It could be worth exploring the diet issue further with the new GP. I have a permamently runny nose if I drink cow's milk and no other pain or symptoms, and noone else in my family has the same issue. It was getting incredibly annoying and embarrassing at work to be constantly blowing/wiping my nose whilst trying to look professional in meetings.

Years ago I was reading the blurb on the back of a carton of Delamere goat's milk (which was for our then puppies!) which had a story about the farmer having the same experience with his daughter and a constantly runny nose. I reduced dairy in my diet (not cutting it out altogether though) and noticed a big improvement. It meant I could breathe through my nose which I hadn't been comfortably able to do for years.

Also, Kleenex Balsam tissues although expensive are brilliant for frequent nose wiping. I've tried the Boots own brand ones and they are not as good! Good luck with your little girl. I sympathise as a fellow snotty person!

I was going to suggest trying goats milk too, my 2 year old has been on it for about 6 months and I've noticed a definite "reduction!" I was brought up on goats milk (fresh from our own goats no less) which is the reason we put it on her on the first place, it's also rumoured to help with dry skin/eczema.

It does sound like some kind of allergic rhinitis. My whole family has it to some degree, as does one of my children. It's an endless stream of snot all the time. The reason that some people get seasonal variation in the symptoms can be seasonal change in behaviour (being inside more, so more dust mite exposure in the winter, for example) or a seasonal change in an allergen like pollen. The green snot comes along when you get a secondary infection in the snotty nose, so the infection isn't the cause of the snot, it it caused by the snot.

There's no really answer other than buying lots of tissues, and possibly shares in a tissue company... Mine is much less severe now than when I was a child, but it is worse in my new office building than it was in my old office. Goodness knows why, though!

apart from diet, children naturally find it difficult to co-ordinate wiping and blowing. We make it a fun game to do blowing and wiping (including lots of funny noises from me). They do seem to pick up one bug after another, and if your lo is not good at blowing the nose, and just wiping makes it sore, it will always seem like a constant runny nose.

Slightly gross to wash, but I really believe that hankies are gentler on the nose, especially when they've been washed a few times. You can have a whole load of them with you and use as if they're tissues to avoid revolting 'finding a clean bit' issues!