Christmas Show recomendations. for boys

madmum

HI,

This should have a Bad Mummmy ALert attached to it.....

So my little one will be 4 in December and I have been stupidly busy that I have not sorted anything for him ( tut tut)

so I know he wanted to go to the V&A to see Darth Vader Mask but alas no Tickets till Jan ! so what to do?

I was thinking panto? anyone got any ideas? we do soft play regulary so this is not really a birthday treat.

A million thanks in advance

xxxx

I would really recommend going to one of the theatres designed specifically for children. We're so lucky to have Polka in Wimbledon, the Unicorn at London Bridge and the Half Moon Theatre all accessible to us. These theatre are designed with children in mind - making it a very different experience for them (just think about seats and sightlines in your regular adult theatres from a child's perspective).

And the shows they produce and host are often incredibly thoughtful and very attuned to reaching the age range they are aimed at. I wish my little one at nine months could go and see Oily Cart's Christmas show at the Unicorn. Oily Cart are an amazing company and their work is beautifully designed and hugely imaginative.

http://unicorntheatre.com/in-a-pickle

Just to second the Polka Theatre. We left ED just over a year ago and we're so lucky to have it on our doorstep now. We're off to see the toddler version of this http://www.polkatheatre.com/whats-on/too-many-penguins in a couple of weeks. As your son is a little older he'd probably be fine at the older performance. I really can't rate the Polka enough.

Just wanted to say a huge thanks for this post. The day I saw it, my son had seen the older children at his pre school perform a play and was totally captivated which made me want to take him to see some christmas shows. He had also loved seeing Hairy Maclary this summer.

Anyhow, we are just back from seeing Stickman at the Leicester square theatre www.scamptheatre.com

It was just brilliant. My son is 2 1/2 so was worried that he may be too young but he knows the book so well and it was perfect. Lots of audience interaction and a few things aimed at the adults too. The theatre was about 1/3 full so I expect there are lots of weekday tickets still available. they provide bouncy cushions for the younger ones.

I left my 9 month at home but there were lots of younger siblings there.

Am now booking up lots of the other shows mentioned above.

thanks again for the ideas!

Room on the Broom is on in town, or you could stay local and go to Newspaper Boy & Origami Girl on at Theatre Peckham? I'm going to see 'Going on a Bear Hunt' at Pleasance Theatre in Islington in late December, one of my 2 yr old's fave books so hopefully should be fun :) Peppa Pig and other events on in Dec and Jan. Have a look on East Dulwich Mummy website too, some other productions listed on there...