story book recommendations please

sparkle

What stories do your 7/8 year olds enjoy for a bed time story? I'm need some new ideas for one of my children! I'm particulary interested in short story collections and picture books with a lot of text- ie picture books for older children.

Many thanks in advance!

thanks Jessie, that may well be just what I'm looking for- we've enjoyed fairy tales here before, but I've not looked into the Philip Pullman version but have been recommended to him before as a good writer.

Any more suggestions greatly appreciated!

the voyage of the artic tern by Hugh Montgomery and Nick Poullis. we LOVED this - altho probably better for 10 year old. Magical rhyming (don't be put off!!) saga about sailing, adventure, regenge etc. We all looked forward to bedtime so as to get another helping!!

Have you tried the Yuk books by Matt and Dave. Two stories in one book, several books. You can get them in Cheners in ED. The authors did an event in our school a year or so ago and now my almost 7 year old (girl) loves them even though she's not the kind to be in to muck and 'boys!'. Not deep books but enjoyable - maybe more the level a 7 year old could read by themselves if they're reading well. (Could be totally wrong on that - hard to know how kids develop in terms of what they can read themselves.)

Maybe to grow into a bit, but I loved Fantastic Mr Fox, Danny Champion of the World, James & the Giant Peach, The Borrowers, etc. Also love the Michal Morpurgo books (suitable for varying ages for being read to and reading self). Then once you're onto longer stories with chapters how about Mrs Frisby and the Rats of Nimh, The Secret Garden...

I definitely second Roald Dahl stuff. Very happy memories as a kid, being read Danny the Champion of the World with an aniseed ball for me and all my brothers. Dad's philosophy was he would read for as long as the sweet lasted, and so we really savoured our sweet then straight off to brush teeth and bed. This being the same dad who taught us how much fun trying to peel a potato was while leaving the skin in one long unbroken spiral....he would then let us all 'practice' peeling potatoes, usually on a Sunday morning surprisingly.

What about the Redwall trilogy books by Brian Jacques? [Redwall, Mattimeo and Martin the Warrior]

thanks- lots of fab ideas. Roald Dahl is fantastic, and I've had my memory well jogged with ideas of Brain Jaques etc, so thanks all.

The problem I have with one of mine- we get into a new book, read a few chapters over a few nights, and then they're bored with that one and want to move on! Can anyone suggest any picture books which are longer than a typical pre-school one? I'm thinking along the lines of 'The Minpins'- a Roald Dahl book I only discovered last year, fab picture book but with enough text to last for a few nights bed time reading.

edited to add- also any ideas on the Moomins? I remember vaguely watching it on tv as a child. Are the books any good?

I loved Carbonel by Barbara Sleigh when I was that age (story about a cat) and Pippi Longstocking books are great. Enid Blyton also trusty favourites of course. Roald Dahl amazing, esp the illustrations so would prob get those first :) George's Marvellous Medicine probably my all time favourite (regressing now haha)