New Montessori in Barry Road

Silvia78

Hi, I am about to pay the subscription fee for the new Montessori nursery opening in Barry Road by the Little Fingers Montessori management. Is anyone in line for it? Have you seen the premises or met anyone from the staff? I am doing all this blind as we're about to move to Landcroft Road and are in desperate need for a nursery from January...so kind of trusting it as I've heard Montessori nurseries are good?

Anyone who's going for it and can give me any advise/insight would be very much appreciated.

thank you!

My son attended their DV branch. He didn't like it. Probably depends whether you like the Montessori ethos or not. I think it was quite true to the ethos, no toys, no dressing up, a lit if drawing triangles. It seemed unnaturally quiet and did not suit us at all. But that us what Montessori us supposed to he I think. I had not realised that was what I was signi g up to, so it was my mistake :-)

As far as I'm familiar with the Montessori style, it's actually quite flexible, and I would not say that "no toys" and "no dressing up" were part of Montessori. In fact I would be quite disappointed with any Montessori that did not encourage learning through play in all its forms. No wonder your son didn't like it.

Oak tree nursery have spaces, they are on tell grove, so well located for ed station.

My son has just started and i am happy so far.

Their number is 0208 693 0306 ask for Maria. I have to admit you have to be persistent, eg they don't always call you back and you have to chase emails, but now we've started that's not the case. I have been very happy with what I have seen of the childcare.

Don't know about this particular nursery but my daughter attended an absolutely lovely Montessori (Blossoms in Dunstans Grove - and yes they did have toys and dressing-up clothes!) and a fairly rubbish one, which had better remain nameless. So I don't think whether a nursery is Montessori or not makes a difference as to whether it's good or bad per se. All you can do is visit and ask lots of questions and get a good feel for the place and judge it on that. Very hard when you don't have anything to compare it to, of course.

Good luck - hope it's one of the good ones!

When you're looking at Montessori nurseries, check to see if they are certified by either of the recognised UK Montessori bodies. The name "Montessori" is not trademarked. Hence any nursery can call itself Montessori, but that doesn't mean it has been certified. See here for more info: http://www.eastdulwichforum.co.uk/forum/read.php?29,924530,924530#msg-924530 .

OK. I just spoke to the manager again, Parveen (her number if anyone is interested is 07971572346)

The opening date is kind of confirmed for 3rd January (99.9%), they're finishing up on the premises, stuff like sound check (?) and they will be emailing all parents on the list with all the info ASAP. They are waiting for the Council final gree light which they have been promised it will be before Xmas.

the number on Barry Road is 208.

Hope this helps!

midivydale Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Is It true talhat oaktree dont provide lunch for

> Children?

Hi, yes, but they provide snacks and breakfast.

They will be providing lunch soon, was meant to be January but has been pushed back. Sigh.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi

Just wondering if anyone has had any info through about this nursery? I have spoken to Parveen and she said she'd send an email out but haven't heard anything yet. I really need to know if they are likely to have places or if I should look elsewhere. It's right round the corner so I would really like to get in!

They seem to have opened/registered with Ofsted as they now have a link here:

http://www.ofsted.gov.uk/inspection-reports/find-inspection-report/provider/CARE/EY453279

But there's no info as yet in terms of hours or anything like that and albeit I have paid the money (?230) I still have not received an email confirming anything at all! Shocking really...I just hope the manager has got nothing to do with the rest of the nursery organisation!!

• 5 weeks later...

Hi,

I am also considering the possibility of registering my baby there (Little fingers @ Barry road).

Do you have any idea of the fees?

At the phone they told me that the fees have changed, but they won?t give me any further information. Does anybody know anything?

I would like to have an approximate idea before I register...

Many thanks!

Hi, I went to see the new nursery yesterday as I have been sending my child to their sister one in Herne Hill waiting for this one to open, so the owner took pity in me and gave me a private viewing! They are literally there, the builder will take the whole of next week (w/c 6th Feb) to finish up and then they should open.

I have to say, despite the dramas and having to wait so long, I think it will be worth it. It's a very lovely space, both the baby rooms downstairs and the toddlers rooms upstairs. Big outdoor space and everything is brand new as you would imagine. If you're interested, call Parveen or email (I left number in a post up here).

See you at the gates! x

Hi Silvia,

Lucky you that got to see the new nursery! It is good to know that they are about to finish it.

Did they give you any information about the prices? I am beginning to think they don't even know yet....

Thank you!

• 2 weeks later...

Just a quickie to say that my son has gone to the Burbage Road Little Fingers for the last year, and I'd recommend it. It's true that their administration can be quite disorganised - and when you compare it to the Nelly's of this world it is free of bells and whistles.

But the staff are warm and friendly, they spend lots of one on one time with the kids, there's a lot of painting and imaginative play. I know people who've changed nurseries then come back because Little Fingers is a warmer environment. They also do lots with numbers and letters.

I think it's probably better for little children - a 4 year old might need more challenge - but I would recommend.

• 9 months later...