Mother and boy found

TE44

Sorry, was called away. I do not understand what powers the law has regarding forced treatment. Could it be her acceptance of initial treatment took away her rights to then say no. I realise most people would be thankful for whatever can be done, but there are also many people who when faced with a life or death situation wish to make there own decisions. Of course I realise this about making a choice about her child, but I cannot believe seperation is fair for either of them.

I heard about this case on the radio this morning, where it was discussed for some time. From what I heard earlier, the boy has had surgery for a brain tumour, but his prognosis is apparently very poor if he does not have a course of radiotherapy, and his father wanted him to go ahead with the treatment. I don't think any parent has the right to refuse potentially life saving treatment to a child, and whilst it's very sad to think of the little boy being separated from his mother whilst he has treatment, at least he is much more likely to be alive at the end of it than if his mother was allowed to rely just on alternative therapies. Having undergone cancer treatment myself over the last year, I believe passionately that complimentary therapies can be extremely beneficial, but would never consider them as an alternative to treatment that was deemed to be essential from my doctors.

I hope you're recovering well growlybear. I only heard the story 2day but got the feeling this mother believes she is making the best decision for her son. I believe along with treatment the state of mind cannot be taken out of the outcome, this is recognised in medicine now. Whatever the rights or wrongs i cannot see how being separated from his mother will aid his recovery. Best wishes to you.

Such a sad case

But surely if the mother accepted the father's choice and the doctor's serious warning/advice, then she wouldn't have been separated from her son.

She's clearly desperately unhappy and possibly not thinking straight. Poor her. But if the doctor and father agree on treatment course, then I can see why they've done it.

if it's a case of life or death for the little boy then of course he has to have the treatment. and like growlybear I have had it and while it's not pleasant it is certainly better than the alternative. How can anything be worse than losing your child. She sounds like she is in shock/denial over the whole thing. Awful for the poor boy though, makes the whole experience 100 times worse.

susypx

also, the idea that state of mind has very much at all to do with outcome is quite frankly deeply offensive. I think everyone goes through much the same mental processes when they have a life threatening illnesses. The idea that thinking positively or being brave or any of those things makes any difference is ridiculous. Cancer is Sh*t and there is no reason why one person gets it and another person doesn't, or one person survives and another one doesn't. There is enough heartbreak and guilt around the whole issue of cancer without throwing that idea in as well.

Sorry above post was a google check, somehow I posted here by mistake. Just found out it was because father and mother disagreed it went to court. I wonder if nhs would still have went to court if father and 6ther agreed. I've just found through google a case where father disagreed with mothers choice to not have child vaccinated with mmr, judge ruled in the fathers favour. I do believe that a decision was to be made tomorrow regarding this little boy.

I am sorry susyp I did not mean to offend, I am not trying to make anyone guilty. I personally believe that it ir not so easy to seperate the mind from body, I'm not saying positivity etc is a cause or cure. In regards to this case involving a young child, i cannot see how lhe pain of not having his mothers love around him, will not have an effect. I am sorry again if I offended you, it was not my intention.