vitamins to take whilst breast feeding

kamath

• 1 month later...

If you're taking calcium there are two things to know. Calcium works vitamin D and against iron. Taking vitamin D with calcium helps absorption, so you often find them together in supplements. However, if your iron is also low, take your iron supplement separately from calcium with a 2-4 hour gap inbetween. Calcium and iron are both "2+" ions, so they compete with eachother for absorption.

If you feel very, very tired, and/or you lost some blood during labour, it's worth asking your GP to do some general bloodwork. People tend to think of low calcium being associated with breastfeeding, but iron stores are often depleted by pregnancy, birth, and breastfeeding. And the body's iron stores can take a long time to build back up to pre-pregnancy levels. When taking iron supplements, avoid digestive upset by also taking it with vitamin C.

In the past I've taken Floradix, and I have a friend who likes SpaTone. However, my iron was so low, the haematologist said don't bother because they don't have enough iron to correct severe iron depletion. Instead I had a prescription for ferrous sulphate tablets.