Problem with Reusable Nappies

bee74

I have used all my reusable nappies with my son from day one till potty training with no problems at all.

But with my daughter, they just don't seem to fit as even after just one pee, she is soaked through and all her clothes need changing. I have different types so it's not just the one brand of nappies that is a bad fit.

Has anyone had the same issue and a good resolution?

Thank you

This happened with my son as a sign that he was ready for potty training (i.e he was holding it and then doing a huge wee). When I had leaks with my daughter it was usually because she had taken the nappy off or wiggled out of it somehow. This was after they were a year old, though.

It's also possible that the older your nappies are, the less absorbent they've become.

yes, i should have said she is a petite 11 month old. my son was in comparison the michelin man!

he was potty trained at 18 months, so they have not been over used and 5 are new.

i think it's the fit, in the sense that they don't seem to be tight enough around her thighs.

thank you

Are they all in one nappies? Getting a tight fit round the little legs is important so it might be the shape difference between your children necessitates a different type of nappy for your daughter (nuisance!).

You could try putting a waterproof cover over the top for a few weeks, to see if the problem solves itself as she grows.

Otherwise, add some boosters (depends a bit on the nappy brand as to how easy that is to do), "strip" them by washing without detergent, or I believe adding vinegar can help (have never had to do this with mine but have read it somewhere).

Good luck x

I had a similar problem with my kids, what worked on my well rounded son (although he's lanky as anything now) didn't work on one of my skinny daughters.

The idea of stripping the nappies is a good one. They get build ups of limescale and washing powder which can affect their absorbancy..... you can use white vinegar for this or weirdly a dishwasher tablet and lots of rinses works. If it's detergent build up you'll see bubbles in the washing machine even when no detergent added. In this case a couple of hot washs helps a lot.

If it's skinny legs you possibly need to alter the rise on the nappies. Have a play around with the settings to try and get a better fit.

Lastly girls have a different 'wet' zone. Sometimes getting a small bamboo or hemp booster and putting it in the 'wet' zone helps.