Which sling for a newborn?

rachel4

wondering if you have any advice about which sling would be best to get to carry a newborn? i already have a ridiculously large collection of slings, a baby bjorn (7lb+), ergo (14lb+), and moby wrap (8lb+) but they say they aren't suitable for tiny babies and i have a 5lb baby. any suggestions?

many thanks.

I think a lot of slings start with a higher weight as it is harder to make sure that you follow the safe babywearing guidelines ('T.I.C.K.S.') (http://southlondonslings.com/sling-info/safe-babywearing/). However most stretchy wraps are actually safe if you follow the guidelines. I think the Caboo carrier is actually tested from 5lbs (and so might be the Wilkinet carrier). Since Moby is similar to Caboo it would probably be fine. If you want to be really sure to have sound advice, I would contact Emily at the south london sling library - you don't have to go there, btu can fill in her online enquiry form and she will get back to you by email. Happy babywearing!

My daughter was < 5lb at birth & I used a Close sling (ring sling with jersey like fabric) until I got a beco Gemini when she was 5mths old.

I would have her positioned cross ways rather than upright - which was explained on the instructional DVD & was easier as she was so tiny it was difficult to suss out getting the uptight position right - I went to The Baby Show when she was 5wks old & asked for advice at the Close stand & even they found it tricky!

You could try a hop-tye, rent one from sling library and if you decide to buy I have one!

Otherwise I know someone who did really well with a woven wrap if you don't get along with the stretchy ones.

Def recommend the sling library in any case.

Hello there. Stretchy wrap is great [lots of brands available, just do a search] -- snuggly, soft and flexible for a newborn until about three months...then, depending on size of baby I would recommend a sturdier carrier that your babe can grow with...I used a stretchy wrap the whole time until three to four months [no need for a pram even] then used an Ergo on the front and am now using the Ergo on my back as babe is now 16 months and a lot heavier. Still hardly use the pram, LOVE the sling life...these wee ones aren't small like this forever...like having a long cuddle with them....ahhhhh. All the best and hope you find something that works for you and babe!

Hi I can also recommend the stretchy type wrap. I used one all the time when my baby was tiny and it was brilliant.(thank you Handstands!) My baby was prem and weighed under 4lbs when he was born. I was lent a moby wrap by the hospital for kangaroo carebefore he came home and it was great even though he was much smaller than the guidance on the label, and I was definitely using the kari me sling all the time by the time he was 5lbs. I used to fold the fabric in half lengthwise so that it didn't bunch too much and that seemed to work well because he was so little. As he got bigger I moved on to an ergo. I miss those snuggly days!

Also recommend the snuggley wrap. Shameless plug but coincidentally I've just decided to sell ours (Kari Me) and posted it on to the classifieds list, amongst other items we have sadly outgrown. We used our sling from birth & found it by far the most comfortable. Also baby *loved* being snuggled in close.

Agree with stretchy and then if you catch the slinging bug there are lots of good threads on here about the south London sling library and the world of very supportive soft structured carriers so don't hesitate to come back!

I can't wait to stretchy wrap again for all those (hands-free) cuddles with my newborn!!

I used to put mine in a vest/sleepsuit and maybe a cardigan and a hat (once his head started poking out and was not covered by the sling). I would then put the wrap sling on under my own cardigan and coat and do one or both of those up around him once he was in the sling. It made me look as if I was pregnant again in a very odd and lumpy way but he was toasty and I could undo a layer if it was getting a bit warm, without disturbing him in the sling.

I would do similar to espelli with baby clothing. As for my clothing, I'd tend more to wear layers with a woolly jumper on top with gloves, hat and scarves and no coat. It made the taking sling off and on easier when out and about and the scarves could also double up as extra layers over baby if needed.