Phil and ted advice

Hello

We are expecting baby no.2 in march and our daughter will be 21 months so will need to get a double buggy, we were thinking of getting the city mini side by side but really would prefer one that isn't so wide and wanted advice from anyone with a phil and ted or other brand you think is good? I have heard the phil and ted is heavy but I think there is more than one model. Any advice appreciated! Thanks

Rachel

We went thru the same thought process as you and ended up with the P&T Sport (from the Forum) as seemed to be the lightest and it was perfect for us. Our age gap was 20 months as well. That said after about 6 months of it being really useful we ended up storing it in the shed and using our old Bee but with a Buggy Board as at 2 1/2 years our son didn't want to be in any buggy at all. So know all we use is that!

We have the P&T Promenade and with baby no.2 now nearly 1, we still use it lots. We have been on the us with it a few times but that wasn't a pleasant experience. Very easy to handle, easy fold and best of all, both seats recline fully so I have had both kids asleep comfortably - excellent resting time for mummy! Apart from not being bus-friendly, really happy with Promenade. We have a P&T Sports for nanny share and I didn't get on with that at all.

Check out the Mountain Buggy duet - narrowest side by side on the market. We had a 22m age gap and loved it. Would advise steering clear of the phil and teds models where the second seat doesn't recline - makes life a bit hard when the baby is just out of the cocoon but still little. We now have the p&t verve and still use it with our 3.9 and 1.11 yr old lumps - it's good because the second seat reclines to near flat but also takes up to 20kg weight limit and doesnt tip. Also - if you fancy tandems - look at the oyster max/jane twone/TFK joggster twist with buddyseat. Oh and think Micralite are bringing out a new tandem with inbuilt buggy board soon?

I had a Phil & Teds sport for my 2 (24 months apart) and I hated it. I found it really hard to use with the second seat as you bang your shins on it or have to lean forward as you walk or take really small steps. I much preferred using a single buggy and sling for the first few months and then getting my older one to walk or scoot.

My nanny uses a side-by-side Maclaren techno and liked that, but I found it hard to push.

That is a fair point etta, the sport does require long arms, or else the shins do take a bashing. On the plus side, I do find ours very smooth and easy.

I'm fed up with getting punctures though. Replaced an inner tube this week, only for another one to go the next bloody day!!!!!

We had a P+T Sport (bought on EDF) with a 2.3 year age gap. I absolutely hated it. Baby did too. She was fairly average size but seemed to grow out of the cocoon thing after about 6 weeks before being big enough for the seat. It lasted about 8 weeks before being ditched for Maclaren + sling / buggyboard.

A friend with similar age gap got a double mini city jogger and loved it.

Have heard good things about mini city jogger too.

Re: comments about P&T Sport, I didn't get on with it for similar reasons. Also, I'm quite small and found it impossible to get it onto pavements, etc. The Promenade must have come out to address these issues as the handle can be extended really far - looks a bit ridiculous actually! But, this means that you are not kicking the bottom seat and it's easier to get it onto pavements. Both seats reclining fully is a BIG plus. One minor point is that it's a bit fiddly to get baby/ toddler in and out of back seat but we got the hang of it.

With toddler now 3 and baby 1, we are thinking of keeping it still for a while as we still seem to use it frequently.

Some on-line retailers seem to be doing a good package deal so I would really recommend it. We got ours from Peppermint in Clapham and they did an on-line price match.

The cocoon doesn't last that long it is true, but ours was still one of the best things I ever bought, as baby 2 would not go in to a Moses basket or cot, and slep... well, like a baby in the cocoon, so it basically became her carry cot.

Have found the vibe pretty good, I can stride normally unlike with the sport, the second seat reclines but only slightly and sometimes I find it a bit wide to get comfortably down the aisle on buses, however drivers have generally been good about letting me on the back when necessary.

The frame did snap but p and ts replaced it and so far so good...

I have had a P&T Navigator (the compact version of the Explorer/ Sport I think; 2cm longer than the Dot) for 6 months and have found it invaluable. I have a 2 year gap and when no.2 was born no. 1 wouldn't necessarily stay on the buggy board, and i sometimes found putting baby in the sling exhausting as he got bigger. Being able to strap no.1 in sometimes is great! I have been on the bus/ tube/ train 3-4 times a week in the last year and have never had a problem. Also, no.1 is in nursery a day a week so this buggy works then too, I'm not walking around with a wide buggy and empty seat. Both seats recline so both kids can sleep at the same time. The back seat lasts til 15kg: my (admittedly petite) over 3 year old has just weighed in at 12kg so I think the back seat will be ok if nec until no.2 is 2.5/3yrs old - I certainly hope that i'm not still needing a double buggy then!

The lack of storage space bugs me, but then i don't like to carry a bag and am used to loading up the pram! It's really easy to fold and they claim it is lighter than other models but I wouldn't fancy regularly lifting it in/out a boot (I don't use a car).

Having sung the P&T's praises, a double buggy even bought second hand is an investment and often not ideal for newborn so personally I would see how you go with the buggy board/ sling options first.